From: Wolfgang Zeikat on
We are experimenting with spamass-milter to check mails and reject them
if a configured spamassassin score is reached. That part works, but the
milter is (of course) applied to all mails after our
smtpd_recipient_restrictions lookups return OK for the recipient, i.e.
also postmaster@<various domains> for whom we want to accept every mail.

Is it possible to exclude mails from
smtpd_milters = unix:/var/run/spamass.sock?

Regards,

wolfgang

From: Wietse Venema on
Wolfgang Zeikat:
> We are experimenting with spamass-milter to check mails and reject them
> if a configured spamassassin score is reached. That part works, but the
> milter is (of course) applied to all mails after our
> smtpd_recipient_restrictions lookups return OK for the recipient, i.e.
> also postmaster@<various domains> for whom we want to accept every mail.
>
> Is it possible to exclude mails from
> smtpd_milters = unix:/var/run/spamass.sock?

There is no such option.

Wietse

From: Wolfgang Zeikat on
Wietse Venema wrote:

>> Is it possible to exclude mails from
>> smtpd_milters = unix:/var/run/spamass.sock?
>
> There is no such option.

OK. Thank you for the bad news ;)

Would we have that option if we use an
smtpd_proxy_filter,
i.e. spampd?

Regards,

wolfgang

From: Wietse Venema on
Wolfgang Zeikat:
> Wietse Venema wrote:
>
> >> Is it possible to exclude mails from
> >> smtpd_milters = unix:/var/run/spamass.sock?
> >
> > There is no such option.
>
> OK. Thank you for the bad news ;)

It is not a good idea to simply turn off Milters in the middle of
an SMTP session, because that would whitelist all mail that is sent
later in that same SMTP session. To fix that one would have to add
code to turn Milters back on in the middle of a session. That
code is hard to maintain and because almost never executes and
therefore it will be buggy, suffer from bitrot and other badness.

> Would we have that option if we use an
> smtpd_proxy_filter,
> i.e. spampd?

Postfix does not know where the smtpd_proxy_filter will deliver
its output, so it cannot jump over the filter. Again, one can
keep piling junk on top of Postfix for rare corner cases, or
one can spend the cycles on something that benefits many people.

For good reasons, many filters have their own whitelisting features.

Wietse