From: Peter Capazzi on
Hello,
We've had performance issues with our server. We typically get 'insufficient
resources' error and eventually wind up rebooting the server.

I've been trying to use perfmon to see what in SQL Server is not normal.

At this time Execution Contexts (SQL Server Cache Manager) is just over 4
billion. I've seen it below 1000 when the system was rebooted and monitored
it for that day... no major fluxuation.

So at this point I've tried flushing caches per non-system DB and it doesn't
seem to have an effect.

Any suggestions are greatly appreciated (aside from jumping off a bridge) :)

-Peter

From: Erland Sommarskog on
Peter Capazzi (PeterCapazzi(a)discussions.microsoft.com) writes:
> We've had performance issues with our server. We typically get
> 'insufficient resources' error and eventually wind up rebooting the
> server.

Which version of SQL Server, including service pack? That is, what
does "SELECT @@version" report?

> I've been trying to use perfmon to see what in SQL Server is not normal.
>
> At this time Execution Contexts (SQL Server Cache Manager) is just over
> 4 billion. I've seen it below 1000 when the system was rebooted and
> monitored it for that day... no major fluxuation.

Is that a performance counter you are talking about? (I rarely use
Perfmon.) I can't find it in sys.dm_os_performance_counters, so don't
know exactly what it is. But whatever it is, 4 billion sounds excessive.

But that may only be a symptom, and not the root problem. I think you
should collect more data when you have this problem. For instance,
how many connections do you have at this point?

Links for SQL Server Books Online:

Pages: 1
Prev: Same Issue Here
Next: Latvian collagtion issue