From: Ehsanul Hoque on
On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 19:02:05 -0500
Charlie Ca <artemisc360(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> Marnen Laibow-Koser wrote:
> > If you need to ask the mailing list a question like this, then you are
> > not ready to be writing Ruby tutorials. Sorry, but that's the way it
> > is.
> > Best,
> > --
> > Marnen Laibow-Koser
> > http://www.marnen.org
> > marnen(a)marnen.org
>
> Thanks for the encouragement. I guess I should stick to 'Hello World'
> programs.

Well no, don't just "stick to 'Hello World'" programs. What Marnen means is that if you are trying to actually create a tutorial for others to learn Ruby from, it would be a good idea to wait until you know the language much more intimately. That way, you won't risk providing incorrect information, or just bad practices in your tutorial.

In the mean time, to actually get to that level of competence in using Ruby and programming in general, do write programs, as many as you can. just not tutorials for Ruby just yet. ;)

No reason to get discouraged, you're a beginner now. You just have to spend some time learning yourself before you can teach others. Instead of "Hello World" programs, you should write little useful utilities, or games, or whatever interests you, moving up towards more difficult parts of Ruby until you have a good understanding of how to program. Also, read other people's code, you'll learn a lot that way.

--
Ehsanul Hoque <ehsanul_g3(a)hotmail.com>
From: Robert Klemme on
2010/2/11 Marnen Laibow-Koser <marnen(a)marnen.org>:
> Eric Christopherson wrote:
>> On Wed, Feb 10, 2010 at 5:53 PM, Marnen Laibow-Koser <marnen(a)marnen.org>
>> wrote:
>>> If you need to ask the mailing list a question like this, then you are
>>> not ready to be writing Ruby tutorials. �Sorry, but that's the way it
>>> is.
>>
>> That's a little harsh, although it would probably be true if the
>> poster was actually *writing* the tutorial. I thought that on first
>> reading too, but after I read it again I figured he meant he was
>> writing a program as a solution to a problem in a tutorial he's going
>> through.
>
> Oh, if that's the case, then yes, my response was uncalled-for.  I did
> interpret the OP's original post as saying he was *creating* a tutorial.

I am not a native speaker but actually that is exactly what he wrote:
"I am [...] writing a program in ruby that serves as a tutorial for
absolute beginners."

I do agree to your statement although I found it to be harsh as well.
It's probably your concise style of writing. :-)

Kind regards

robert

http://blog.rubybestpractices.com/

From: Marnen Laibow-Koser on
Robert Klemme wrote:
> 2010/2/11 Marnen Laibow-Koser <marnen(a)marnen.org>:
>>> writing a program as a solution to a problem in a tutorial he's going
>>> through.
>>
>> Oh, if that's the case, then yes, my response was uncalled-for.  I did
>> interpret the OP's original post as saying he was *creating* a tutorial.
>
> I am not a native speaker but actually that is exactly what he wrote:
> "I am [...] writing a program in ruby that serves as a tutorial for
> absolute beginners."

Yeah, I thought so too -- und ich bin Englischmuttersprachler.

> I do agree to your statement although I found it to be harsh as well.
> It's probably your concise style of writing. :-)

No, it was deliberately meant to be a bit harsh -- shock tactics. :)

> Kind regards
>
> robert

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser
http://www.marnen.org

From: Mason Kelsey on

Harsh and shock tactics seem to be universal solutions for problems that
don't exist. What next, sterilization of programmers who overlook a period
in the wrong place?

Getting the work done is rarely accomplished from a pulpit or soapbox.

Miss Manners would not be pleased with your "methods".

No Sam

From: Marnen Laibow-Koser on
Mason Kelsey wrote:
> Harsh and shock tactics seem to be universal solutions for problems that
> don't exist.

The problem appeared to exist. Nothing is to be gained from mincing
words.

> What next, sterilization of programmers who overlook a
> period
> in the wrong place?

No. If you miss a period, you're probably not sterile. :D

> Getting the work done is rarely accomplished from a pulpit or soapbox.

"Never doubt that a small group of concerned citizens can change the
world. Indeed, it's the only thing that ever does." --Margaret Mead

> Miss Manners would not be pleased with your "methods".

I do not think my methods were beyond the pale of etiquette.

> No Sam

Best,
--
Marnen Laibow-Koser