From: Clocky on
Leif Bloomquist wrote:
>> On Mar 8, 1:39 am, RobertB <rberna...(a)iglou.com> wrote:
>
>>> According to Doug Cotton on an old Genie roundtable
>>> discussion (or was it in Commodore World magazine),
>>> over a 1,000 SuperCPU 64's were manufactured. I've
>>> always thought that 500+ SuperCPU 128s were built.
>
> "Michael" <mistermsk(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> If that is the case. That makes them pretty darn rare.
>
> I disagree, that number (1500 total?) is probably on the same order of
> magnitude as the number of serious Commodore users left. So there
> would in theory be somewhere around one per user, which as we've seen
> certainly isn't the case.
>
> My wild guess is that there are closer to 100 (yes, one hundred)
> SuperCPUs out there. So where are the other 1400 or so?

Since SuperCPU specific software is pretty rare, could software
sales/downloads be used to estimate SuperCPU numbers?

From: Vanessa Ezekowitz on
On Sun, 7 Mar 2010 22:39:57 -0800 (PST)
RobertB <rbernardo(a)iglou.com> wrote:

> On Mar 7, 5:45 am, redrumloa <amiga...(a)bellsouth.net> wrote:
>
> > The serial number on your SuperCPU 128 is CPU1281065. Would
> > that be #65 off the assembly line or #1,065 off the assembly line? I
> > have always wondered how many of these things ever sold and AFAIK
> > numbers were never released.
>
> According to Doug Cotton on an old Genie roundtable
> discussion (or was it in Commodore World magazine),
> over a 1,000 SuperCPU 64's were manufactured. I've
> always thought that 500+ SuperCPU 128s were built.

Indeed, one of my SuperCPUs had a serial number in the low 2000's.

--
"There are some things in life worth obsessing over. Most
things aren't, and when you learn that, life improves."

From: Quantum Leaper on
Leif Bloomquist wrote:
>> On Mar 8, 1:39 am, RobertB <rberna...(a)iglou.com> wrote:
>
>>> According to Doug Cotton on an old Genie roundtable
>>> discussion (or was it in Commodore World magazine),
>>> over a 1,000 SuperCPU 64's were manufactured. I've
>>> always thought that 500+ SuperCPU 128s were built.
>
> "Michael" <mistermsk(a)gmail.com> wrote in message
>
>> If that is the case. That makes them pretty darn rare.
>
> I disagree, that number (1500 total?) is probably on the same order of
> magnitude as the number of serious Commodore users left. So there
> would in theory be somewhere around one per user, which as we've seen
> certainly isn't the case.
>
> My wild guess is that there are closer to 100 (yes, one hundred)
> SuperCPUs out there. So where are the other 1400 or so?

I would bet the other 1400 or so SuperCPUs share the same fate as Atari 2600
ET carts. I know friend has scavenged interesting hardware from peoples
trash in the past.