From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Garrett Smith wrote:

> The location "/faq/notes/" is easier to remember and simpler than
> "faq/faq_notes/faq_notes.html" and the same is true for the other URI
> changes.

It is good to see that you have finally come to your senses. At least
partially:

> The documents under /faq/faq_notes/ can be changed to use an http
> redirect using a meta tag.

Please don't.

<http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/reback>

PointedEars
From: Garrett Smith on
Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
> Garrett Smith wrote:
>
>> The location "/faq/notes/" is easier to remember and simpler than
>> "faq/faq_notes/faq_notes.html" and the same is true for the other URI
>> changes.
>
> It is good to see that you have finally come to your senses. At least
> partially:

I proposed that about a year ago.

I spend time eating, sleeping, lifting weights. I have a javascript
library that I am working on, so be patient -- it doesn't happen
immediately but it will get done.

>> The documents under /faq/faq_notes/ can be changed to use an http
>> redirect using a meta tag.
>
> Please don't.
>
> <http://www.w3.org/QA/Tips/reback>

RIght, what was I thinking? I hate it when sites do that.

--
Garrett
From: Dr J R Stockton on
In comp.lang.javascript message <hmhgn5$ge9$1(a)news.eternal-
september.org>, Mon, 1 Mar 2010 14:56:33, Garrett Smith
<dhtmlkitchen(a)gmail.com> posted:

>I do not intend to edit content under /faq/faq_notes/. Some of the
>content is a out of date and less relevant. One of the things that the
>previous FAQ and notes did very badly is navigation.

FAQ notes content is closely associated with the FAQ, of which you are
the maintainer.

Any note page that you are not willing to maintain the content of should
have added to it the name of its current maintainer, or something
resembling
"Current content maintainer : none".

All note pages should have the date of the last significant content
change or review.

Could Bart's system be extended to post in turn, maybe once a
week/fortnight/month, a link to a Notes page with a request to readers
to review it for current accuracy?

Does the foot of
<http://jibbering.com/faq/faq_notes/square_brackets.html>
need upgrading, now that Lasse uses an additional name?

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v6.05 IE 7.
I find MiniTrue useful for viewing/searching/altering files, at a DOS prompt;
From: Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn on
Garrett Smith wrote:

> Thomas 'PointedEars' Lahn wrote:
>> Garrett Smith wrote:
>>> The location "/faq/notes/" is easier to remember and simpler than
>>> "faq/faq_notes/faq_notes.html" and the same is true for the other URI
>>> changes.
>> It is good to see that you have finally come to your senses. At least
>> partially:
>
> I proposed that about a year ago. [...]

I proposed it here several times before that, when it was summarily
dismissed in each instance. However, I could not find evidence that
you were among those who dismissed it, so I take that back.

PointedEars
From: Dr J R Stockton on
In comp.lang.javascript message <hmhl9t$vbv$1(a)news.eternal-
september.org>, Mon, 1 Mar 2010 16:14:49, Garrett Smith
<dhtmlkitchen(a)gmail.com> posted:

>Taking a combination of what you, I, and Stockton have written:
>
> This is an anonymous FunctionExpression which is called right
> after creation.

No; the function that it expresses is called, and not the
FunctionExpression itself. The function is then discarded.

> Variables declared inside a function are not accessible from
> outside the function. This can be useful, for example, to hide
> implementation details or to avoid polluting the global scope.

How about functions declared inside such a function? Are they available
in all browsers, or not? It seems not. They may be delivered via a
returned Object, though (FF3, js-quick).

Proper <= 4-line sig. separator as above, a line exactly "-- " (RFCs 5536/7)
Do not Mail News to me. Before a reply, quote with ">" or "> " (RFCs 5536/7)