From: FAQ server on
FAQ Topic - How can I access the client-side filesystem?

Security means that by default you can't. In a more restricted
environment, there are options. For example, using LiveConnect
to connect to Java with Netscape, and using the FileSystemObject
in IE. Check

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.lang.javascript/topics

for previous posts on the subject.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/z9ty6h50%28VS.85%29.aspx

http://www.javaworld.com/javaworld/jw-10-1998/jw-10-apptowin32.html

The complete comp.lang.javascript FAQ is at
http://jibbering.com/faq/

--

The sendings of these daily posts are proficiently hosted
by http://www.pair.com.

From: Dr J R Stockton on
In comp.lang.javascript message <4be88ffd$0$275$14726298(a)news.sunsite.dk
>, Mon, 10 May 2010 23:00:03, FAQ server <javascript(a)dotinternet.be>
posted:

>FAQ Topic - How can I access the client-side filesystem?
>
>Security means that by default you can't. In a more restricted
^ do it from a Web page.
>environment, there are options. For example, using LiveConnect
>to connect to Java with Netscape, and using the FileSystemObject
>in IE.

It can AIUI be done from A browser, by using an HTA. It can be done to
some extent by any browser running a local copy of a Web page. It can
be done, I have no doubt, by JScript under WSH.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London, UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v6.05 IE 7.
MiniTrue is good for viewing/searching/altering files, at a DOS / CMD prompt;
From: Bwig Zomberi on
Dr J R Stockton wrote:
> In comp.lang.javascript message<4be88ffd$0$275$14726298(a)news.sunsite.dk
>> , Mon, 10 May 2010 23:00:03, FAQ server<javascript(a)dotinternet.be>
> posted:

>> FAQ Topic - How can I access the client-side filesystem?
>>
>> Security means that by default you can't.

This sentence is colloquial and malformed. It could be "This depends on
the security context in which the page is running."

>> In a more restricted
> ^ do it from a Web page.
>> environment, there are options.

I think he meant "a less restrictive environment"...

>> For example, using LiveConnect
>> to connect to Java with Netscape, and using the FileSystemObject
>> in IE.
>
> It can AIUI be done from A browser, by using an HTA. It can be done to
> some extent by any browser running a local copy of a Web page. It can
> be done, I have no doubt, by JScript under WSH.

JScript was covered - It will use FileSystemObject, as does VBSCript.

--
Bwig Zomberi