From: Johannes Baagoe on
Ry Nohryb :
>Bwig Zomberi :

>> Sending the password (encrypted or otherwise) to the client is simply a
>> wrong approach to security.

> The pwd never ever travels through the net, it's entered by the user of
> the page, and never ever leaves the client, it's just used to decrypt
> the payload and then can be destroyed.

On the other hand, if the client is the human being who pays for the
service, I fail to see why sending her the password via gpg poses
a great security risk.

--
Johannes
From: Ry Nohryb on
On May 13, 12:03 pm, Johannes Baagoe <baa...(a)baagoe.com> wrote:
> Ry Nohryb :
>
> > Johannes Baagoe :
> >> Garrett Smith :

> >> I have to disagree. It is quite possible to encrypt the body element of
> >> a web page using, e.g., AES, (...)
> > For Smith the FAQ guardian the probability of (to read && !to
> > comprehend) is almost 1.
>
> I have to disagree with that too.

You'll end up agreeing.

> Anyway, here is a quick and dirty proof of concept :http://baagoe.com/en/ES/encrypted.html
>
> I shall leave the group enough time to attempt to prove that it does
> not "provide any real security", and then publish the password.
>
> > Maybe next year.
>
> Maybe an hour or two will be enough, if it is acknowledged that the
> security seems to be adequate after all :)

$1k? :-D

I'd like to try a brute force attack with a bookmarklet and
webworkers, but, for that, could you please add there if you don't
mind, in that same page, another "secret" that uses a short pwd (say 3
or 4 chars no more) that only contains a..z, A..Z and 0..9 ? It's
just an experiment...
--
Jorge.
From: Bwig Zomberi on
Johannes Baagoe wrote:
> Ry Nohryb :
>> Bwig Zomberi :
>
>>> Sending the password (encrypted or otherwise) to the client is simply a
>>> wrong approach to security.
>
>> The pwd never ever travels through the net, it's entered by the user of
>> the page, and never ever leaves the client, it's just used to decrypt
>> the payload and then can be destroyed.
>
> On the other hand, if the client is the human being who pays for the
> service, I fail to see why sending her the password via gpg poses
> a great security risk.

By "the encrypted value either in an Array of Numbers or as a
base64-encoded String" I thought you meant the password. I realize you
are suggesting key-pair technology, which means the password need not be
stored with the encrypted container. A neat solution. >:)

For adequate logging, you might add that a XHR is made to the server
after successful decryption.

--
Bwig Zomberi
From: Johannes Baagoe on
Ry Nohryb :
>Johannes Baagoe :

>> Maybe an hour or two will be enough, if it is acknowledged that
>> the security seems to be adequate after all :)

> $1k? :-D

No, no, that is VK, and it is $10k :) (Maybe, when he started on
Shannon's Clairvoyant being used by professional cryptographers,
I should have mentioned that I happen to have been one, with an
"Autorisation administrative d'usage, de détention et de fourniture
d'armes de guerre de deuxième catégorie" to prove it.)

> I'd like to try a brute force attack with a bookmarklet and
> webworkers, but, for that, could you please add there if you don't
> mind, in that same page, another "secret" that uses a short pwd
> (say 3 or 4 chars no more) that only contains a..z, A..Z and
> 0..9 ? It's just an experiment...

OK, done. 4 chars.

--
Johannes
From: Johannes Baagoe on
Bwig Zomberi :

> By "the encrypted value either in an Array of Numbers or as a
> base64-encoded String" I thought you meant the password.

Goodness! I wouldn't even dream of that...

> I realize you are suggesting key-pair technology,

If you mean public-key, it is simpler than that, just a shared keyword
for an old-fashioned symmetrical block cipher. The keyword has to
be transmitted by another, secure channel.

> which means the password need not be stored with the encrypted container.

> A neat solution. >:)

Dr Stockton's idea, actually. I hadn't thought of it before. I am not
sure it is useful, either...

> For adequate logging, you might add that a XHR is made to the server
> after successful decryption.

Quite. It is only a proof of concept, and if it is ever to serve
a useful purpose, there is a lot to add and to tidy.

But it refutes the categorical statement of the FAQ.

--
Johannes