From: Dr J R Stockton on
In comp.lang.javascript message <hqtbi9$2ul$1(a)news.eternal-
september.org>, Fri, 23 Apr 2010 16:47:15, Garrett Smith
<dhtmlkitchen(a)gmail.com> posted:
>Dr J R Stockton wrote:
>> In comp.lang.javascript message <hqo38s$2m7$1(a)news.eternal-
>> september.org>, Wed, 21 Apr 2010 16:55:05, Garrett Smith
>> <dhtmlkitchen(a)gmail.com> posted:

>>> No, an IFRAME is an element; a `frame` is a window object.
>> Again, you are thinking in terms of the standard, and not
>>considering
>> what ordinary people will take words to mean. You are not supposed to
>> be writing merely for Thomas Lahn, David Mark, and Richard Cornford.
>>
>>> Can we stick to the subject and not try to classify people?
>> With one exception, for the FAQ there is no need to classify
>>individuals
>> (exception : if there were an entry in it about Thomas). But it is
>> necessary to write for the right classes of people. The most important
>> class is not that of the professional Web coders, who should know it all
>> already; it is that of the normal people who wish to use JavaScript on
>> connection with their other work, professional or amateur.
>> The exception is that a FAQ maintainer needs to be in the class of
>>good
>> communicators.

>>> I see it is confusing.
>>>
>>> An IFRAME's `contentDocument` property, or `contentWindow` property,
>>> where supported, will point to, respectively, either the window or the
>>> document that is loaded in that IFRAME.
>> Respectively?
>>

>Where supported:
> contentDocument -> document
> contentWindow -> window

Think again.

>>> That IFRAME's contentWindow can also be accessed via the `frames`
>>> collection. Thus:
>>>
>>> document.getElementsByTagName("iframe")[0].contentWindow === frames[0]
>>>
>>> - is true when the (non-frameset) document contains at least one IFRAME.
>>>
>>> Does any part of that help? If so, which part?
>>

>[...]
>
>> Some part of the FAQ should COVER obtaining a reference to an
>>Object,
>> including such as doc.gEBI, this.form, dot and ["string"], parent,
>> child, name, etc., and then other parts of the FAQ can just say "Get a
>> reference R to it (_Sec 35.26_), then ...". Example - section 9.7 (of
>> Version 25) would say
>>

>As in:-
>
> "What is a Reference?"
>[explanation of Reference type]

No. That is a different question; it is not "How to obtain a
reference".

>> Using the non-standard but widely implemented innerHTML property, get a
>> reference R to the target (_Sec 35.26_), and assign the new material to
>> R.innerHTML.

>> REMOVE : Where "anID" is the (unique on the HTML page)
>> (is handled in 35.25) id attribute value of the element to modify.
>>

>You're switching the subject again, and now to the entry "How do I
>modify the content of the current page?"

That is not a switch; it is an example of how other entries need to
change for the better when there is an earlier entry covering obtaining
a reference. Obviously it would not otherwise be removed.

>Regarding your comment for *that* entry, what do you mean by "handled
>in 35.25"?

It is the dummy number that I used four lines above. Are you really as
obtuse as you pretend to be?

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Proper <= 4-line sig. separator as above, a line exactly "-- " (RFCs 5536/7)