From: FAQ server on
FAQ Topic - How do I find the size of the window?

Here is a detailed explanation of a cross-browser strategy to
find the dimensions of the viewport, excepting all chrome
(excludes scrollbars, etc).

We can consider various properties:

window.innerWidth
document.clientWidth
document.documentElement.clientWidth
document.body.clientWidth

Of the browsers that have an ` innerWidth ` property, most
include scrollbar dimensions. Some versions of KHTML browsers
(including Safari 2) do _not_ include scrollbar width.

The ` window.inner* ` properties are unreliable and not
useful here. We don't want scrollbar dimensions included.

document.clientWidth

Certain versions of KHTML, including Safari 2, have
` document.clientHeight ` and ` document.clientWidth `
properties. Where supported, these rare properties accurately
return the height and width of the viewport, without including
scrollbar dimensions.

document.documentElement.clientWidth
document.body.clientWidth

MSHTML (Trident), Firefox (Gecko), Opera (Presto), and Safari
(Webkit) all support ` clientHeight ` on ` document.body `
and ` document.documentElement `. The difficulty is figuring out
which one is reliable. In other words which object to get the
` clientHeight ` property from:` documentElement ` or ` body `?

What the number returned from either of these properties
represents depends on the environment. The environment includes
the browser, its version, and the rendering mode of the document.
In quirks mode, we'll mostly want to use ` body.clientHeight `
(except for in Safari 2).

document.body.clientHeight

Some environments will return the viewport height. Others will
return ` 0 `. Yet others will return the ` clientHeight ` of
the ` BODY ` element.

document.documentElement.clientHeight

This is the more "standard" property for getting the height of
the viewport. It usually "works" in modern browsers in
standards mode. Notable exceptions include Safari 2 and
Opera <= 9.25, both of which return the ` clientHeight `
of the ` html ` _element_. (Oddly, Opera <= 9.25
in standards mode returns the width of the viewport for
` documentElement.clientWidth `).

With the exception of Safari 2, ` body.clientHeight ` is reliable
where ` documentElement.clientHeight ` is found to be unreliable.
For example, in Safari 3+, Opera, and Mozilla, all in quirks mode,
` document.documentElement.clientHeight ` returns the ` clientHeight `
of the ` html ` element (this may seem unsurprising but
it is not what we want).

Conversely, ` document.body.clientHeight ` will return
the height of the viewport in most cases where
` document.documentElement.clientHeight ` does not. An exception
to that is Safari 2, where ` documentElement.clientHeight `
and ` body.clientHeight ` both return the height of their
corresponding element (not what we want).

By using a combination of Feature Testing and Capability Testing,
the dimensions of the viewport can be strategically retrieved
from the property that works in the environment the script is
running in. The trick is determining which property will give us
the value we want.

Since ` document.clientHeight ` is reliable where
(rarely) supported, and since browsers that support this property
don't return the viewport dimensions from
` document.body.clientHeight ` or
` document.documentElement.clientHeight `, this should be the
very first condition:

// Safari 2 uses document.clientWidth (default).
if(typeof document.clientWidth == "number") {
// use document.clientWidth.
}

The next strategy is to determine if
` document.documentElement.clientHeight ` property is unreliable.
It is deemed "unreliable" when it is either ` 0 ` or taller
than the viewport.

Determining if ` documentElement.clientHeight ` is ` 0 ` is easy.
The result is stored in a variable ` IS_BODY_ACTING_ROOT `.

var docEl = document.documentElement,
IS_BODY_ACTING_ROOT = docEl && docEl.clientHeight === 0;
docEl = null;

To determine if ` documentElement.clientHeight ` returns
a value taller than the viewport, we need a Capability Test.

If we can force ` documentElement ` to be very tall
(taller than a normal viewport) we can then check to see if
` documentElement.clientHeight ` returns that "very tall" number.
If it does, then it is unreliable.

We can force ` documentElement ` to be taller than the viewport
(or any "normal" viewport) by adding a ` div ` to the ` body `,
give that ` div ` a height larger than any normal monitor,
and then check to see if ` documentElement.clientHeight ` is
that high (or "almost" that high, to account for ` documentElement `
having a border).

// Used to feature test Opera returning wrong values
// for documentElement.clientHeight.
// The results of this function should be cached,
// so it does not need to be called more than once.
function isDocumentElementHeightOff(){
var d = document,
div = d.createElement('div');
div.style.height = "2500px";
d.body.insertBefore(div, d.body.firstChild);
var r = d.documentElement.clientHeight > 2400;
d.body.removeChild(div);
return r;
}

We can use this function to see if we should use
` body.clientHeight `, instead. (but only after checking if
` document.clientHeight ` is supported).

// Safari 2 uses document.clientWidth (default).
if(typeof document.clientWidth == "number") {
// use document.clientHeight/Width.
}
else if(IS_BODY_ACTING_ROOT || isDocumentElementHeightOff()) {
// use document.body.clientHeight/Width.
} else {
// use document.documentElement.clientHeight/Width.
}

The preceding strategy was developed by Garrett Smith with input
from John David Dalton. A complete and tested example can be found
in APE Library under ` APE.dom.getViewportDimensions `.
Source code:

http://dhtmlkitchen.com/ape/build/dom/viewport-f.js

APE is publicly released under Academic Free License.
APE home:

http://dhtmlkitchen.com/ape/

Note: The dimensions cannot be determined accurately until after
the document has finished loading.

http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms533566%28VS.85%29.aspx

http://developer.mozilla.org/en/DOM/window.innerWidth

http://dev.opera.com/articles/view/using-capability-detection/

The complete comp.lang.javascript FAQ is at
http://jibbering.com/faq/

--

The sendings of these daily posts are proficiently hosted
by http://www.pair.com.