From: Garrett Smith on
On 6/17/2010 7:08 PM, Jeff North wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 17:13:22 +0100, in comp.lang.javascript Dr J R
> Stockton<reply1024(a)merlyn.demon.co.uk>
> <TsRF9eKimkGMFw6M(a)invalid.uk.co.demon.merlyn.invalid> wrote:

[snip overquote]

> Maybe the title should be:
> How do I change the text of the current page.

Content includes more than text; it includes elements.

The general sense I was going for is explained here:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Web_content

| Web content is the textual, visual or aural content that is
| encountered as part of the user experience on websites. It may
| include, among other things: text, images, sounds, videos and
| animations.

The term content is also used here:
http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG10/#content-structure
http://www.w3.org/TR/WCAG20/#glossary

Garrett
From: Garrett Smith on
On 6/17/2010 9:13 AM, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
> In comp.lang.javascript message<hv90gu$j2k$1(a)news.eternal-
> september.org>, Tue, 15 Jun 2010 15:57:39, Garrett Smith
> <dhtmlkitchen(a)gmail.com> posted:
>
>> On 6/15/2010 2:34 PM, Dr J R Stockton wrote:
>>> In comp.lang.javascript message<4c1562fb$0$276$14726298(a)news.sunsite.dk
>>> posted:

>>> You have ignored previous discussion, in which it was pointed out that
>>> answering the Subject question involves describing two stages :
>>>
>>> First, obtain a reference to an appropriate part of the document.
>>> Secondly, apply the change.
>>>

>> The question itself is too vague. Perhaps it should be:
>>
>> "How to I modify the content of an Element"?
>
> Wrong : the Subject is the sort of question that gets asked. Indeed, I
> may be its original asker. If so, the original answer was specific to
> the circumstances which I indicated; the present FAQ answer should be
> more general.
>
> The answer could be like
> See Section ### "Creating and Inserting a new page element", or
> Section ### "Moving an element of a page", or
> Section ### "Getting a reference to an element of a page" and
> Section ### "Altering a given element of a page"
> if those modules can be used to answer other questions.
>

>>> There are various ways, apart from getElementById, of getting such a
>>> reference.
>>>
>>> There are various ways, apart from writing or rewriting text or HTML, of
>>> changing the visible content (and it is the content as seen that was
>>> being asked about). For example, styling display to none or block is
>>> likely to be better for revealing/concealing sections of fixed material.
>>>

>> Styling is not content.
>
> You are a mere nerd, and are manifestly unfitted to be a FAQ maintainer.

If you think style is content, and can't or won't recognize your
ignorance, that is your problem.

Name calling doesn't change the facts.

> To a normal person, that question refers primarily to the visual
> appearance of the page.

I'd rather not waste time with your pontifications of normal person,
whatever (or whoever) that may be, and how you meet those criteria.

I am going to hold off on making any efforts to change to this entry for
this time round.

Garrett
From: Garrett Smith on
On 2010-06-17 11:26 PM, Jeff North wrote:
> On Thu, 17 Jun 2010 19:23:58 -0700, in comp.lang.javascript Garrett
> Smith<dhtmlkitchen(a)gmail.com>
> <hvelbp$d8f$1(a)news.eternal-september.org> wrote:

[...]

> People seem to be getting their knickers in a knot over the words
> 'content' and 'modify'.
>
> Maybe at the top of this FAQ entry you should include the wikipedia
> quote just so it is clear to everyone what content means :-)

Where would that go in that entry?

Garrett