From: Dr J R Stockton on
In comp.lang.javascript message <83a5a05f-663e-478e-9d13-5fa8c93271d3(a)p1
1g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, Fri, 23 Jul 2010 22:34:18, David Mark
<dmark.cinsoft(a)gmail.com> posted:

>On Jul 23, 4:18�pm, Dr J R Stockton <reply1...(a)merlyn.demon.co.uk>
>wrote:
>> In comp.lang.javascript message <7e2a9f9c-4973-4686-bf69-3603a8b95a71(a)s2
>> 4g2000pri.googlegroups.com>, Wed, 21 Jul 2010 16:25:33, David Mark
>> <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> posted:
>>
>> >On Jul 21, 2:46�pm, Dr J R Stockton <reply1...(a)merlyn.demon.co.uk>
>> >wrote:

>> >input did nothing.
>>
>> On the whole, one should consider that data input controls might be used
>> in order, with the actuation following.
>
>Huh? You've got a text input and a button that does something with
>that input. You do understand that if hitting enter in the text input
>fails to do the same thing as the button, then you have botched the
>basic interface.

There are five actual text inputs, named 'File' to 'Indent', a similar-
looking readonly field, three textareas which ought to be (and now are ;
thanks) readonly. If any of the actual input fields should trigger
execution, it should logically be the last of them - but the author
cannot predict which will be changed in which order. One certainly does
not want them all to trigger the action.

>> Did you notice
>> the Operatically invisible &emsp; after the button?
>
>No, I sure didn't. Is there a point to that?

Just a dig at Opera, really. In other browsers, the spacing is better.

>> >JavaScript -http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/pageindx.htm
>>
>> >Uncaught exception: ReferenceError: Security error: attempted to read
>> >protected variable
>> >Error thrown at line 34, column 2 in ReadWebPage() in
>> >http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/pageindx.htm:
>> > � �BODY = Ifr.contentDocument.body // Locally, dies here in Chrome
>>
>> >That was usinghttp://www.cinsoft.net/as a test subject. �Something
>> >that looked like it appeared in the IFRAME and then boom!
>>
>> >Back to the drawing board, doc! �:)
>>
>> IAEFRTI.
>
>You are simply too subterranean for your own good, doc. I gave you
>the benefit of the doubt

You should have had no doubt : OTTINMODNPPSODNPDW.

> (that it wasn't just random gibberish) and
>Googled it. Read the instructions? Have you *seen* that document?!

Which document? The relevant instructions are on the page itself.
Those who do not understand them should not expect mere meddling with
the controls to be useful.

Remember : many, perhaps most, of those here write predominantly
commercial pages, intended for /hoi polloi/ to use. I do not. I write
for intelligent people - some JavaScript programmers and above.

>> In particular, it seems that you missed the first paragraph of
>> the "Operation" section, and also forgot that there may be restrictions
>> preventing a page in one domain from inspecting the entrails of a page
>> in another domain.
>
>I forgot nothing. It's up to you to write competent software; such
>exceptions are avoidable after all.

The page is suitable for the class of user for whom it was written.
Just consider it as a sort of intelligence test.

However, I have become able to upgrade the response to the unavoidable
failure that you observed earlier.

Query : if scr of an iframe is set to a non-existent file, the
default "404" message is shown. That does not necessarily include
"404", and a valid page can of course contain "404". Is there a way of
detecting, in JavaScript, failure to load the page requested?

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
<URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/clpb-faq.txt> RAH Prins : c.l.p.b mFAQ;
From: Dr J R Stockton on
In comp.lang.javascript message <dd2c6602-c152-407b-8ca1-78a2b6ec0fb8(a)g2
1g2000prn.googlegroups.com>, Sun, 25 Jul 2010 18:27:54, David Mark
<dmark.cinsoft(a)gmail.com> posted:

>On Jul 25, 4:16�pm, Dr J R Stockton <reply1...(a)merlyn.demon.co.uk>
>wrote:
>> In comp.lang.javascript message <83a5a05f-663e-478e-9d13-5fa8c93271d3(a)p1
>> 1g2000prf.googlegroups.com>, Fri, 23 Jul 2010 22:34:18, David Mark
>> <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> posted:

>> >Huh? �You've got a text input and a button that does something with
>> >that input. �You do understand that if hitting enter in the text input
>> >fails to do the same thing as the button, then you have botched the
>> >basic interface.
>>
>> There are five actual text inputs, named 'File' to 'Indent', a similar-
>> looking readonly field,
>
>The read-only field should not look particularly similar to the
>others.

Then you want Safari.

The field is marked "Status", and positioned after the button; that
should be enough. One will soon detect that it cannot be written to.

>> three textareas which ought to be (and now are ;
>> thanks) readonly.
>
>Fair enough.
>
>> If any of the actual input fields should trigger
>> execution, it should logically be the last of them - but the author
>> cannot predict which will be changed in which order. �One certainly does
>> not want them all to trigger the action.
>
>On pressing enter, why not? If the input is not read to be processed
>(validate it before proceeding), then tell the user.

No need to validate; if the user enters nonsense, he will get the
consequences. It does no harm.

>> > �Read the instructions? �Have you *seen* that document?!
>>
>> Which document?
>
>The very long-winded one you originally cited.

You must mean "See <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-262-5.htm>"
which, being before the ASIDE, is not relevant to it.

>> The relevant instructions are on the page itself.
>
>See previous comment about that document.
>
>> Those who do not understand them should not expect mere meddling with
>> the controls to be useful.
>
>Doc, your interface is simple enough that it should need no
>instructions to avoid exceptions.
>

>> Remember : many, perhaps most, of those here write predominantly
>> commercial pages, intended for /hoi polloi/ to use.
>
>Who? Again doc, too obscure. Are you trying to communicate with the
>masses or confuse them?

The masses are of no interest here; I write for those who are
sufficiently elite - which varies from communication to communication.

>Oh, I see. Well, on the Web you can't really pick your audience.

Agreed, for the initial audience (which is why all pages should have, at
least, a link to a home page). But the obtuse can depart whenever they
wish.

>> I write
>> for intelligent people - some JavaScript programmers and above.
>
>So if the user can't make sense of your simple interface without
>burrowing through the dense instructions, then they are too stupid for
>your consideration?

Correct. Indeed, a user of the primarily-intended class certainly needs
the instructions when revisiting such a page after an interval.

>> >I forgot nothing. �It's up to you to write competent software; such
>> >exceptions are avoidable after all.
>>
>> The page is suitable for the class of user for whom it was written.
>
>I don't think so. The document in the IFRAME was rewritten by some
>"Merlyn" process of yours, so it didn't come from another domain. And
>regardless, exceptions should be expected by the software and can be
>handled easily enough.

The document as shown in the iframe should be exactly the same as it
would be if shown in an ordinary window of the same size. It is there
to be recognised, not to be read. It is the document named in the File
field. It serves merely as an example; a real user, having read the
instructions, would change it to be one of his own pages.

>> Just consider it as a sort of intelligence test.
>
>I guess I am too dumb for your advanced applications. Sorry to let
>you down, doc.
>

>> However, I have become able to upgrade the response to the unavoidable
>> failure that you observed earlier.
>
>Ah good, but see above about the cited domain issue.

The page is intended to read from its own domain. I see no need to read
from another (I expect it to read from its own machine, either directly
of with both served by Apache or suchlike), and I don't actually know
how to.

>> Query : if �scr �of an �iframe �is set to a non-existent file, the
>> default "404" message is shown.
>
>Possibly, but not necessarily. Some servers send a response body and
>some browsers can be configured to display such.
>
>> That does not necessarily include
>> "404", and a valid page can of course contain "404".
>
>I'm with you...
>
>> Is there a way of
>> detecting, in JavaScript, failure to load the page requested?
>
>Well, you could try with XHR first and admonish the user if it fails.

XHR? XMLHttpRequest?

The page now has a Directory field, in Fuchsia. When empty, things are
as without it. When it points to a directory file, the File field is
now an argument to new RegExpm and all files named in the directory and
matching the RegExp are processed. The Directory will have been
generated according to the instructions.

That works; and, when it is tidied, it will be uploaded (sans fuchsia).

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
Proper <= 4-line sig. separator as above, a line exactly "-- " (RFCs 5536/7)
From: Dr J R Stockton on
In comp.lang.javascript message <ffcbe820-a822-4a7d-9651-e4e1db3f7109(a)v6
g2000prd.googlegroups.com>, Tue, 27 Jul 2010 19:16:01, David Mark
<dmark.cinsoft(a)gmail.com> posted:

>On Jul 27, 6:45�pm, Dr J R Stockton <reply1...(a)merlyn.demon.co.uk>
>wrote:
>> In comp.lang.javascript message <dd2c6602-c152-407b-8ca1-78a2b6ec0fb8(a)g2
>> 1g2000prn.googlegroups.com>, Sun, 25 Jul 2010 18:27:54, David Mark
>> <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> posted:

>> >The read-only field should not look particularly similar to the
>> >others.
>>
>> Then you want Safari.
>
>What does that mean? When I said not to style inputs, I didn't mean
>that *all* styling was inappropriate (just the clown pants button
>schemes discussed previously).

You are not familiar with Safari? Do you not occasionally test stuff
with all major browsers? By default (AFAIK) read-only fields in Safari
are grey.

>> The field is marked "Status", and positioned after the button; that
>> should be enough. �One will soon detect that it cannot be written to.
>
>If you have to detect it by twiddling with it, you'd failed in your
>design.

My design is that users should read the instructions. First.

>> No need to validate; if the user enters nonsense, he will get the
>> consequences. �It does no harm.
>
>That could rewrite the rules of UI design... You just might be on to
>something here, doc. :)

Remember that there is no server-side coding; user input is not
transmitted. It's WYSIWYD. // D = Deserve

In this case it's difficult to think of anything that *can* usefully be
validated independently of the main processing without running any risk
of being restrictive.

>> >The very long-winded one you originally cited.
>>
>> You must mean "See <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/js-262-5.htm>"
>> which, being before the ASIDE, is not relevant to it.
>
>I meant the document you directed me to with the odd colored button
>and iframe. IIRC, it had a bunch of accompanying verbiage.

Presumably, therefore, you code Web pages, including JavaScript, by
sheer intuition, without needing to read (for example) HTML 4 or ECMA
262 ?

>> >Oh, I see. �Well, on the Web you can't really pick your audience.
>>
>> Agreed, for the initial audience (which is why all pages should have, at
>> least, a link to a home page). �But the obtuse can depart whenever they
>> wish.
>
>I'm not following, but you can expect mass departures from that
>particular document (likely within a few seconds of arrival).

So be it; it costs me nothing.

>> >I don't think so. �The document in the IFRAME was rewritten by some
>> >"Merlyn" process of yours, so it didn't come from another domain. �And
>> >regardless, exceptions should be expected by the software and can be
>> >handled easily enough.
>>
>> The document as shown in the iframe should be exactly the same as it
>> would be if shown in an ordinary window of the same size.
>
>What are you talking about now? The issue was the domain it
>originated from. I know the contents of that IFRAME did not originate
>from mine and the mention of "Merlyn" indicates that it came from some
>domain of yours. So why the security violation?

None, since you chose (wittingly or otherwise) to use a page on my site
to index a page on my site. If too many people try that, I'll prevent
it, for bandwidth reasons. I use the page locally, of course.

>I recognized it, just as I recognized the error console that popped up
>in Opera after it loaded.

Then you should say what error it gave.

>> It is the document named in the File
>> field.
>
>Yes. Well, sort of (see above).
>
>> It serves merely as an example; a real user, having read the
>> instructions, would change it to be one of his own pages.
>
>But I did use one of my own pages.

Then it would be helpful to say which, and where. I cannot test one of
your own pages; but I can test a copy thereof.

>> The page is intended to read from its own domain.
>
>How the hell can it read one of *my* pages from its own domain? I
>think you mean that some process on your server fetches it and
>rewrites it with some comments that mention "Merlyn". So again,
>what's the problem with the exception I noted? You seem to have
>screwed up somewhere.

It is showing your page; but it is not reading it. It is in the nature
of iframes that they allow cross-domain viewing, but not cross-domain
examination of innards. Only by such examination can the purpose be
fulfilled.

>> I see no need to read
>> from another (I expect it to read from its own machine, either directly
>> of with both served by Apache or suchlike), and I don't actually know
>> how to.
>
>So when are you going to sign up for one of my support plans? I can't
>keep going around in circles with you like this forever without
>remuneration. Sorry, but my occasional forays into free debugging are
>for reserved for neophytes. An "elite" bloke like yourself does not
>qualify.

Then you are being commercially imprudent. I don't need you for
debugging; but you do help to improve the instructions - and I may well
need to find them adequate next year.

Once you have stopped responding, I'll be able to re-ask certain
questions with a greater expectation that someone else may read them.

>> >Well, you could try with XHR first and admonish the user if it fails.
>>
>> XHR? �XMLHttpRequest?
>
>No, X-Ray Hummus Ravioli.

Does Ravoli work when not using a server?

>> The page now has a Directory field, in Fuchsia. �When empty, things are
>> as without it. �When it points to a directory file, the File field is
>> now an argument to new RegExpm and all files named in the directory and
>> matching the RegExp are processed. �The Directory will have been
>> generated according to the instructions.
>>
>> That works; and, when it is tidied, it will be uploaded (sans fuchsia).
>
>Great.

That should be done quite soon; any version dated today or later will
have it. But you will be unable to use it without enhanced divination
of the /modus operandi/. IAEFRTI.

From: Dr J R Stockton on
In comp.lang.javascript message <9a0ede24-b5fd-4dec-9785-827148cafc67(a)f2
0g2000pro.googlegroups.com>, Thu, 29 Jul 2010 16:11:43, David Mark
<dmark.cinsoft(a)gmail.com> posted:

>On Jul 29, 2:47�pm, Dr J R Stockton <reply1...(a)merlyn.demon.co.uk>
>wrote:
>> In comp.lang.javascript message <ffcbe820-a822-4a7d-9651-e4e1db3f7109(a)v6
>> g2000prd.googlegroups.com>, Tue, 27 Jul 2010 19:16:01, David Mark
>> <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> posted:

>> >If you have to detect it by twiddling with it, you'd failed in your
>> >design.
>>
>> My design is that users should read the instructions. �First.
>
>That's the hallmark of a bad design.

No; it's the hallmark of designing for literates. The commercial market
designs for (and often by) illiterates.

>> In this case it's difficult to think of anything that *can* usefully be
>> validated independently of the main processing without running any risk
>> of being restrictive.
>
>Then why do you have a problem with allowing the enter key to trigger
>the action?

I don't have a problem with it. You think you have a problem. I
usually prefer to encourage users to reconsider the input controls, once
set, before initiating action.

>> Presumably, therefore, you code Web pages, including JavaScript, by
>> sheer intuition, without needing to read (for example) HTML 4 or ECMA
>> 262 ?
>
>That doesn't follow. We are talking about using your form, not
>programming.

You're the sort of person who might be in the situation that the page
helps with. But, if you actually wanted that tool, you'd have written
it yourself - and marketed it.

>> >I'm not following, but you can expect mass departures from that
>> >particular document (likely within a few seconds of arrival).
>>
>> So be it; it costs me nothing.
>
>Except the time it took to write, post and promote it.

I don't promote it. I announced it here; I linked it into my Web site;
that is all. It was fun to write; I learned at least two things (three
if you count how to code to annoy you) while writing it and using this
thread; and I have a tool to use which I can at need modify. And in
effect I get free publicity when all your fans read this thread.

>> >What are you talking about now? �The issue was the domain it
>> >originated from. �I know the contents of that IFRAME did not originate
>> >from mine and the mention of "Merlyn" indicates that it came from some
>> >domain of yours. �So why the security violation?
>>
>> None, since you chose (wittingly or otherwise) to use a page on my site
>> to index a page on my site. �If too many people try that, I'll prevent
>> it, for bandwidth reasons. �I use the page locally, of course.
>
>You aren't making sense, doc. I chose a page on my domain. Something
>on your server fetched it, added comments to the top and served it to
>that IFRAME. I know I wasn't seeing things.

Then say what that page was, so that I may see what you saw.

However, if you used the page directly from my site and gave it the
address of a page elsewhere, you have disregarded the instructions.

>> >I recognized it, just as I recognized the error console that popped up
>> >in Opera after it loaded.
>>
>> Then you should say what error it gave.
>
>I *did*.

>> >Yes. �Well, sort of (see above).

>> >But I did use one of my own pages.
>>
>> Then it would be helpful to say which, and where. �I cannot test one of
>> your own pages; but I can test a copy thereof.
>
>The root document on my domain (though I don't see how that matters).

But you have not said what your domain is. To define a page, give the
full URL.

>> It is showing your page; but it is not reading it. �It is in the nature
>> of iframes that they allow cross-domain viewing, but not cross-domain
>> examination of innards. �Only by such examination can the purpose be
>> fulfilled.
>
>I know. That is what caused the exception. I thought you understood
>that.

Go to the URL; browser menu, File, Save As or similar ; then put the new
local location in the address bar. It's a fairly well-known technique.
With a little thought, you can also get the corresponding CSS and even
an Include file' but neither is essential.

A real user would want to do that, in order not to rely on my Web page
being continuously available; and that is where the page to be indexed
would be.

>> Then you are being commercially imprudent. �I don't need you for
>> debugging; but you do help to improve the instructions - and I may well
>> need to find them adequate next year.
>
>How is it commercially imprudent to deny you free debugging sessions?

Well, you do it in a manner which ensures that I'd never consider
purchasing your services - even though I do have a few spare dollars[*].

[*] Of the finest manufacture : Soviet, perhaps.

From: Dr J R Stockton on
In comp.lang.javascript message <7a517db8-8c3f-43dc-a95e-3b548d5a7b4f(a)a4
g2000prm.googlegroups.com>, Sat, 31 Jul 2010 16:38:51, David Mark
<dmark.cinsoft(a)gmail.com> posted:

>On Jul 31, 3:14�pm, Dr J R Stockton <reply1...(a)merlyn.demon.co.uk>
>wrote:
>> In comp.lang.javascript message <9a0ede24-b5fd-4dec-9785-827148cafc67(a)f2
>> 0g2000pro.googlegroups.com>, Thu, 29 Jul 2010 16:11:43, David Mark
>> <dmark.cins...(a)gmail.com> posted:

>> >That's the hallmark of a bad design.
>>
>> No; it's the hallmark of designing for literates.
>
>I don't think so. You shouldn't have to be able to read anything more
>than the control labels to use the form you envision.

You wrote that you had tried to use it with your home page. Other
considerations apart, it would only be by reading either the
instructions or the source code itself that you would have known in
advance that there is nothing on your home page that it would have
attempted to index, since your headings neither contain anchors nor have
IDs.

>> The commercial market
>> designs for (and often by) illiterates.
>
>The commercial market must design for the LCD user. But that's

Liquid Crystal Display? Don't assume that technical or colloquial
abbreviations or acronyms favoured in the USA are equally favoured
elsewhere.

>irrelevant to the discussion of your bad design, which is causing a
>simple form to throw exceptions.

Your exceptions, as far as I can make out, were all caused by disregard
of the instructions.

>> >Then why do you have a problem with allowing the enter key to trigger
>> >the action?
>>
>> I don't have a problem with it.
>
>Then do it.

It is not necessary.

>> You're the sort of person who might be in the situation that the page
>> helps with.
>
>How so?

You write Web pages; they contain links to other pages. You might want
also to link to the headings of the current page.

>> And in
>> effect I get free publicity when all your fans read this thread.
>
>I thought you weren't promoting it?

No; but in effect you are.

>> However, if you used the page directly from my site and gave it the
>> address of a page elsewhere, you have disregarded the instructions.
>
>For such a "literate" bloke, you sure have trouble following the
>conversation. Of course I *used* the page "directly" from your site.
>And, as stated six times, I *chose* a page from my site, blatantly
>disregarding your voluminous instructions. The point is that your
>software shouldn't have blown up as a result.

Disregarding instructions leads to failure. If the gauge on the tank of
your car reads low at home, that can most easily be fixed by filling the
tank using your garden hose. Better to follow the instructions, and put
in petrol or diesel as appropriate, even though it is more expensive.

Forms written for idiots should indeed work without instructions. But I
don't generally write for idiots; although some of them do see my pages,
happily most are deterred by the style [+].

>> >The root document on my domain (though I don't see how that matters).
>>
>> But you have not said what your domain is. �To define a page, give the
>> full URL.
>
>You don't know what my domain is?!

No. I could guess; but I don't remember. The way to indicate a page is
to give a URL; or, if the site be known, a relative location.

You may (occasionally, not to waste bandwidth), use it in that manner,
although it was not intended for that. My expectation is that it will
only usefully work to index parts of my own site. In that manner, you
could check my indexes, which may not all be up-to-date.

As it happens, you would I think also have got a result applicable to
(but not derived from) your home page - that includes "Start with the
documentation, ..."

Perhaps if I were to read your documentation I would see why at least
one of your examples (Reveal) gives me an error box in IE 8 :
Message: 'undefined' is null or not an object
but does nothing in FF 3.0.19 (which seems to like very little about
your CSS),

"(Code will appear hear when popup is shown)" - I do dislike noisy
popups; and it's surely not like you to omit a semicolon.

By the way, readers of a page may wish to keep, or give to someone else,
a local copy for reference. It is then likely to be useful, at least in
cites which rightly use relative inter-page links, to put on each page a
full absolute link to its current self on its Web server.

Also, when setting a sans-serif font, one should avoid words like
"corners" because that will look so very like "comers".

>>- even though I do have a few spare dollars[*].

>> [*] Of the finest manufacture : �Soviet, perhaps.
>
>Where do you keep it? :)

Them. Where I keep bookmarks.

I should point out that, if you were to read the present instructions on
the page in question, you would see that it can now index your home
page. That is not be specific intent, but a consequence of my thinking
what if anything I might like to see for unanchored headings on my own
site.

Also, taking that with my earlier statement about newly allowing
indexing of multiple pages provides a sufficiently clear indication that
your remarks have generally been based on the page as it had been,
rather than to the page as it was at about the time of your writing.

Those who give advice should never presume that it will all be ignored.
Or followed.

[+] H'mmm - is that sentence compatible with the fact that one of my
pages was cited by a committee or other subordinate body of the US
Congress or Senate ?

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk DOS 3.3, 6.20; WinXP.
Web <URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/> - FAQqish topics, acronyms & links.