From: Asen Bozhilov on
FAQ server wrote:

> BlackBerry JavaScript Reference
>
> http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/8861/

The link is still broken, should be change with:

http://docs.blackberry.com/en/developers/deliverables/11849/

In section with various implementation of ECMA-262, perhaps would be
good if have link to Narcissus implementation:

http://mxr.mozilla.org/mozilla/source/js/narcissus/
From: Dr J R Stockton on
In comp.lang.javascript message <4babf90c$0$273$14726298(a)news.sunsite.dk
>, Fri, 26 Mar 2010 00:00:02, FAQ server <javascript(a)dotinternet.be>
posted:

>FAQ Topic - What online resources are available?

>The Official ECMAScript Specification

append to line : , latest version (Edition 5)

>http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-262.htm
>
>ISO/IEC 16262: ISO Standard of ECMA-262 r3 with Corrections
xx
Slothful writing. Use

ISO/IEC 16262, Second edition 2002-06-01 : ISO Standard matching
ECMA-262 3rd Edition, with corrections.

Moreover, the link provided leads merely to bumf.

The FAQ should indicate where payment is needed, and the approximate
size of large documents.

Proper <= 4-line sig. separator as above, a line exactly "-- " (RFCs 5536/7)
Do not Mail News to me. Before a reply, quote with ">" or "> " (RFCs 5536/7)
From: Garrett Smith on
David Mark wrote:
> FAQ server wrote:

[...]

> Not linking to at least some of my primers is ludicrous.

You have proven that you are unable to have a technical discussion, and
so discussion of the material you have authored has not been possible.
Without such discussion, those links should not be added.

My personal attempts at technical discussion with you have been a
fruitless waste of my time. You reject technical criticism, refuse to
read the relevant specifications and use nonstandard, made-up
terminology to describe what you arrogantly believe is correct.

Furthermore, the javascript code I have found on your site "My Library"
is awful API design. I would very much hope that no reader would
consider using that pile.

I am done wasting my time on you.
--
Garrett
From: Garrett Smith on
Dr J R Stockton wrote:
> In comp.lang.javascript message <4babf90c$0$273$14726298(a)news.sunsite.dk
>> , Fri, 26 Mar 2010 00:00:02, FAQ server <javascript(a)dotinternet.be>
> posted:
>
>> FAQ Topic - What online resources are available?
>
>> The Official ECMAScript Specification
>
> append to line : , latest version (Edition 5)

One reading the FAQ might want to find a link to ECMA-262 r3. For
example, after hearing recommendation to read it, one might look to the
FAQ, but find a specific link to the 5th edition.

The link to the ECMA 262 archives contains all official editions. The
URL is:
http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-262-arch.htm

The 5th Edition is not yet widely supported. The third Edition serves as
a practical reference. The FAQ mentions this fact in /faq/#ecma.

Because the third edition is widely implemented, it makes sense to link
to that reference. A link to the archives does that.

>> http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-262.htm
>>
>> ISO/IEC 16262: ISO Standard of ECMA-262 r3 with Corrections
> xx
> Slothful writing. Use
>
> ISO/IEC 16262, Second edition 2002-06-01 : ISO Standard matching
> ECMA-262 3rd Edition, with corrections.
>

> Moreover, the link provided leads merely to bumf.

The link is to the license agreement. Click "agree" to download. What is
wrong with that?

> The FAQ should indicate where payment is needed, and the approximate
> size of large documents.

Is payment needed somewhere?
--
Garrett
From: Dr J R Stockton on
In comp.lang.javascript message <hok13l$62j$1(a)news.eternal-
september.org>, Fri, 26 Mar 2010 20:21:04, Garrett Smith
<dhtmlkitchen(a)gmail.com> posted:
>Dr J R Stockton wrote:
>> In comp.lang.javascript message <4babf90c$0$273$14726298(a)news.sunsite.dk
>>> , Fri, 26 Mar 2010 00:00:02, FAQ server <javascript(a)dotinternet.be>
>> posted:
>>
>>> FAQ Topic - What online resources are available?
>>
>>> The Official ECMAScript Specification
>> append to line : , latest version (Edition 5)
>
>One reading the FAQ might want to find a link to ECMA-262 r3. For
>example, after hearing recommendation to read it, one might look to the
>FAQ, but find a specific link to the 5th edition.

The FAQ should link to 16262, but should not say "r3" which is a nerdy
over-abbreviation. Say "ISO/IEC 16262: represents ECMA-262 3rd Edition
(2000) with Corrections". It would be necessary to put 2002 after 16262
if it were not sufficiently obvious in the displayed URL.

>The link to the ECMA 262 archives contains all official editions. The
>URL is:
>http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-262-arch.htm
>
>The 5th Edition is not yet widely supported. The third Edition serves
>as a practical reference. The FAQ mentions this fact in /faq/#ecma.
>
>Because the third edition is widely implemented, it makes sense to link
>to that reference. A link to the archives does that.

You need to learn to write more clearly (and, in this case, so does
ECMA). A one-word link, in text, in non-default style, is nor
necessarily easy enough to see - especially when material of equal
importance is indicated more clearly on that ECMA page. and "The
Official..." implies just one : those who recall finding 5th edition
that way and later wanting 3ed edition are likely hot to read the whole
page hoping for an inconspicuous link.

Link to <http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-
262-arch.htm>, either instead or only. It is a more useful page.

>>> http://www.ecma-international.org/publications/standards/Ecma-262.htm
>>>
>>> ISO/IEC 16262: ISO Standard of ECMA-262 r3 with Corrections
>> xx
>> Slothful writing. Use
>> ISO/IEC 16262, Second edition 2002-06-01 : ISO Standard
>>matching
>> ECMA-262 3rd Edition, with corrections.
>>

>> Moreover, the link provided leads merely to bumf.
>>

>The link is to the license agreement. Click "agree" to download. What
>is wrong with that?

The displayed link text, is to a http://....zip. The link, as shown on
hover, is to a .zip. Since one does not get an immediate ZIP, the FAQ
needs to show that. Insert, before the link, "via licence screen".
Otherwise, some users will think that you have made a mistake. Remember
: you know what your writing is intended to mean, even when you have not
yet written it. Others have only the writing to go on.

--
(c) John Stockton, nr London UK. ?@merlyn.demon.co.uk Turnpike v6.05 MIME.
<URL:http://www.merlyn.demon.co.uk/clpb-faq.txt> RAH Prins : c.l.p.b mFAQ;