From: Mister B on
On 24 Mar, 03:49, bsh <brian_hi...(a)rocketmail.com> wrote:
> The layman would never
> think of such things as why the length of a day (which is _always_
> different) is dependant on the relative time that the northern
> and southern hemispheres spend in that year's winter! (*)

> (*) Because the majority of tall mountains in the world are in
> the northern hemiphere, inordinate time spend in winter from one
> year to the next will mean greater deposits of high-altitude snow
> and ice, the distal weight of which will slow the earth's revolutions
> to a very measurable degree!

Are you serious?! Can you site a reference please?
From: pk on
Mister B wrote:

> On 24 Mar, 03:49, bsh <brian_hi...(a)rocketmail.com> wrote:
>> The layman would never
>> think of such things as why the length of a day (which is _always_
>> different) is dependant on the relative time that the northern
>> and southern hemispheres spend in that year's winter! (*)
>
>> (*) Because the majority of tall mountains in the world are in
>> the northern hemiphere, inordinate time spend in winter from one
>> year to the next will mean greater deposits of high-altitude snow
>> and ice, the distal weight of which will slow the earth's revolutions
>> to a very measurable degree!
>
> Are you serious?! Can you site a reference please?

Can you post on the right newsgroup please?

From: bsh on
On Apr 14, 7:12 am, Mister B <mark.berg...(a)thales-is.com> wrote:
> On 24 Mar, 03:49, bsh <brian_hi...(a)rocketmail.com> wrote:
> >  The layman would never
> > think of such things as why the length of a day (which is _always_
> > different) is dependant on the relative time that the northern
> > and southern hemispheres spend in that year's winter! (*)
> > (*) Because the majority of tall mountains in the world are in
> > the northern hemiphere, inordinate time spend in winter from one
> > year to the next will mean greater deposits of high-altitude snow
> > and ice, the distal weight of which will slow the earth's revolutions
> > to a very measurable degree!

> Are you serious?!  Can you site a reference please?

Yes, I am serious. Alas, No, I cannot site a reference, which
incidentally, I had already been trying to relocate on and off
for a few years now. Although recited from memory, I believe
it is accurate, although I worry why a web search of such
keywords has not located it. IIRC, it was mentioned in a
scholarly review of _probably_ one of the canons of calendrical
analysis, viz a viz:

"Calendrical Calculations" or "Calendrical Calculations: The
Millennium Edition,
by Edward M. Reingold and Nachum Dershowitz"
http://www.calendarists.com
http://emr.cs.iit.edu/home/reingold/calendar-book/papers/
http://emr.cs.iit.edu/home/reingold/calendar-book/second-edition/

When I initially read the above, I immediately recognized the
truth of the assertion as logical and consistent, as well as: Isn't
that cool! I previously knew that the length of the day varies,
and is quite measurable (although I have always wondered
what is the criterion for midnight, to the millionth of a second),
but have not been as yet so motivated to refer the question to
an expert in the field. Although I am an author of a date-time
function library, this bit of trivia is not strictly pertainent, but
it did exemplify my thesis of the nuanced complexity of
those proleptic calendrical calculations presuming any kind
of precision.

pk wrote:
> Can you post on the right newsgroup please?

The question is pertainent to the original thread, is not redirected
or multihomed, and is sufficiently short and sincere. In my personal
opinion, I think his question here is no great sin, and certainly less
than has occurred before.

=Brian
From: Janis Papanagnou on
bsh schrieb:
> On Apr 14, 7:12 am, Mister B <mark.berg...(a)thales-is.com> wrote:
>> On 24 Mar, 03:49, bsh <brian_hi...(a)rocketmail.com> wrote:
>>> The layman would never
>>> think of such things as why the length of a day (which is _always_
>>> different) is dependant on the relative time that the northern
>>> and southern hemispheres spend in that year's winter! (*)
>>> (*) Because the majority of tall mountains in the world are in
>>> the northern hemiphere, inordinate time spend in winter from one
>>> year to the next will mean greater deposits of high-altitude snow
>>> and ice, the distal weight of which will slow the earth's revolutions
>>> to a very measurable degree!

The mass of the earth is approx. 6�10^24 kg! How much will the mass
difference of the snow contribute? It doesn't sound very plausible.

I've heard of earth-moon gravitational effects, and tide dynamics, are
more of an issue WRT the slowing down earth. (You can find references
for that.) Or did you mean something different, probably?

Janis

From: Jonathan de Boyne Pollard on

>> Can you post on the right newsgroup please?
>>
> The question is pertainent to the original thread, is not redirected
> or multihomed, and is sufficiently short and sincere. In my personal
> opinion, I think his question here is no great sin, and certainly less
> than has occurred before.

I wouldn't take a post that asks that and simultaneously sets
followup-to to the very same newsgroup all that seriously, if I were
you. (-:

You're thinking of the discussions surrounding the Three Gorges Dam, by
the way. If you want keywords to search on, try that name with "moment
of inertia". Note that whilst the changes are indeed "measurable", they
are not large. It's been calculated (by Steven Dutch, of the department
of Natural and Applied Sciences in the University of Wisconsin) that
melting the entirety of both polar ice-caps will only change the period
of rotation by a fraction of one second. The effect of the Three Gorges
Dam is said to be about 60 nanoseconds.

First  |  Prev  |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4
Prev: Bulk moving of files