From: bafenator on
I have a machine with dual onboard E1000 NICs. Recently, I changed
the OS from CentOS 5.4 x64 to FC12 x64, and have since encountered a
problem with the networking.

This machine mounts one CIFS share, and also serves out one share via
Samba.

Whenever the machine encounters moderate network activites (say, been
reading from the CIFS share a bit and either serving out the Samba
share, or even doing SCP activity), it will suddenly stop sending or
receiving packets.

No messages appear in syslog. If a ping has been running since before
the problem, it will start saying "out of buffer space". The machine
has plenty of memory and disk free.

Restarting the network won't work - a reboot is required. Perhaps
more telling is that once the problem starts, the rx/tx error counters
in ifconfig will shoot from zero to astronomical numbers, and
continually increase.

That would lead me to look at hardware normally, but given that it was
working under CentOS, software seems to be back under the microscope.
Any hints, tips, or suggestions?
From: Stan Bischof on
bafenator <bafenator(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Whenever the machine encounters moderate network activites (say, been
> reading from the CIFS share a bit and either serving out the Samba
> share, or even doing SCP activity), it will suddenly stop sending or
> receiving packets.

odds are it is network config issue, rather than OS or drivers, so
start by posting your config. Outputs of ifconfig and route would
be a good start.

Stan
From: bafenator on
On May 6, 11:38 am, Stan Bischof <s...(a)newserve.worldbadminton.com>
wrote:
> bafenator <bafena...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > Whenever the machine encounters moderate network activites (say, been
> > reading from the CIFS share a bit and either serving out the Samba
> > share, or even doing SCP activity), it will suddenly stop sending or
> > receiving packets.
>
> odds are it is network config issue, rather than OS or drivers, so
> start by posting your config. Outputs of ifconfig and route would
> be a good start.
>
> Stan

Actually... it did turn out to be hardware. I replaced the NIC, and
all is well.