From: glen herrmannsfeldt on
Richard Maine <nospam(a)see.signature> wrote:
(snip)

> Yes, it sometimes applies to only part of a sentence. For example, the
> ENTRY statement is obsolescent, so those things on pg 277 that refer to
> ENTRY statements are in the small font. Sometimes that is only part of a
> sentence, as in the list of differences between an internal subprogram
> and an external one; one of those differences is that internal ones
> camn't have ENTRY statements.

I suppose it is related to its being obsolescent, but otherwise
it seems to propagate the Fortran tradition of being restrictive
even when it isn't necessary. Well, many restrictions were in
early compilers for size reasons. Would it really have been hard
to allow ENTRY in internal subprograms?

-- glen
From: Richard Maine on
glen herrmannsfeldt <gah(a)ugcs.caltech.edu> wrote:

> I suppose it is related to its being obsolescent, but otherwise
> it seems to propagate the Fortran tradition of being restrictive
> even when it isn't necessary. Well, many restrictions were in
> early compilers for size reasons. Would it really have been hard
> to allow ENTRY in internal subprograms?

I doubt it would have been hard. But that seems irrelevant. I frankly
haven't even thought about whether it would be hard because it doesn't
matter. Entry is a mess already. I'd be against anything that would
encourage new code to be written with it.

Your supposition is correct.

It would seem supremely silly to expand something at the same time as
you are trying to remove it. The obsolescent tag for a feature means
that there is at least thought of removing it. (Whether that is likely
to actually happen is a separate subject). The odds of your
simultaneously convincing the committee that something should be listed
as obsolescent and should also be expanded seem negligable. If you
manage to make a sufficiently convincing argument for one of those
positions, it would probably be an even stronger argument against the
other.

"It wouldn't be hard to do" is nowhere near being an adequately
convincing argument for adding a new language feature.

domain: summertriangle | -- Mark Twain
From: David Muxworthy ""d.muxworthy" on
FX wrote:
> But you still can't search for strings containing an underscore (e.g.
> COMPILER_VERSION) using standard software (Adobe products, Mac PDF
> viewer, linux's xpdf).

Another slight problem is that, using the default font, TeX puts out
'fi' as a single character so that you can find 'INFINITY' but not
'infinity'.

On page 285 a search for 'definition' will find the word when it's in
Courier but not when it's in Times.

These are very minor glitches with the software tools. I agree with the
praise for Malcolm.
David Muxworthy

From: Red Rooster on
On Thu, 22 Apr 2010 22:45:14 -0600, Uno <merrilljensen(a)q.com> wrote:

>Dan Nagle wrote:
>> Hello,
>>
>> The FDIS (Final Draft International Standard)
>> of Fortran 2008 is available from WG5's ftp server,
>> maintained by NAG (thanks!) at
>>
>> ftp://ftp.nag.co.uk/sc22wg5/N1801-N1850/N1826.pdf
>>
>> It's about 8 MB.
>>
>> There are very small changes with the previous draft,
>> repairs to typos and so on.
>>
>> Kudos to Malcolm Cohen of NAG who, as project editor,
>> did a fine job of producing the document.
>>
>> If you wish to inform your country's vote on the FDIS,
>> you should read the document. It is identical
>> with the standard to be published, except that ISO
>> will change the document title to reflect the change
>> in status when it is published.
>>

>I can't make the link work. Is this available to everyone who wants it?

Apparently, I just got it with no problems.

Just to cover all the bases, you did notice that this is an ftp://
link and not an http:// link, so you either need to add that into your
FTP program or need to use a web browser that properly supports ftp://
links, like Firefox with the FirFTP addon...

RR