From: robert on
I was having the same problem with Windows Update and getting the error code 80200053.

Microsoft can fix the problem for you - go to http://support.microsoft.com/kb/971058#FixItForMeAlways site.

I am running Windows Vista, and you must be using it with service pack 1 (SP1) or service pack 2 (SP2) for the fix to work.

Can't understand why microsoft makes it so difficult to find solutions to problems.

JohnRieh wrote:

Windows Update error 80200053
11-Nov-07

I've seen this referenced a few times, but never solved. I get error
80200053 when trying to run update. I saw a post that suggested cleaning out
the download cache in windows\softwaredistribution, which I did to no effect.
I suspect that this is also causing problems with McAfee, which cannot get
the latest updates. Any ideas? Thanks.

On Sunday, November 11, 2007 10:54 PM
JohnRieh wrote:

Windows Update error 80200053
I've seen this referenced a few times, but never solved. I get error
80200053 when trying to run update. I saw a post that suggested cleaning out
the download cache in windows\softwaredistribution, which I did to no effect.
I suspect that this is also causing problems with McAfee, which cannot get
the latest updates. Any ideas? Thanks.

On Monday, November 12, 2007 3:13 PM
MowGreen [MVP] wrote:

80200053 = validation failureI'd suspect that McAfee is the cause of all the
80200053 = validation failure

I'd suspect that McAfee is the cause of all the issues. You could try
Validating Vista once more but, even if the system passes Validation
that has nothing to do with McAfee failing to update.

Is this update installed ? : http://support.microsoft.com/kb/941649

Since none of the ' third-party antivirus software applications ' are
given a name, I guess it's up to us to guess which ones are not playing
nice with Vista <w>

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

John Riehl wrote:

On Wednesday, November 14, 2007 12:31 AM
JohnRieh wrote:

MowGreen,This sounds reasonable.
MowGreen,

This sounds reasonable. I'm trying to download the patch but of course the
download site hasn't been responding for the last two days. Will let you
know when I finally can get the patch downloaded and installed.

John

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

On Wednesday, November 14, 2007 2:40 PM
JohnRieh wrote:

I finally got the KB941649 patch to load, but it didn't fix the problem.
I finally got the KB941649 patch to load, but it didn't fix the problem. Now
I also get error 80070570 (which also appears to be undocumented). Any
insights, or can this only be fixed by starting from scratch and
reinstalling? Thanks.

John

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

On Wednesday, November 14, 2007 2:50 PM
JohnRieh wrote:

Sorry, I posted before I got all my frustration out.
Sorry, I posted before I got all my frustration out. So, a few more facts:

McAfee update appears to be working again, but the errors are still coming
from Windows Update. Specifically, the following updates are erroring out:

Definition Update for Windows Defender - KB915597 (error 80200053)
Cumulative Update for Media Center for Windows Vista - KB941229 (error
80070570)
Update for Microsoft XML Core Services 4.0 Service Pack 2 - KB941833 (error
80200053)

Looking at your post, if McAfee is causing the problem then theoretically I
could disable it when bringing in updates. That doesn't feel like a good
solution to me...after all, the whole point of a virus checker is to protect
me from things I'm downloading from the internet. However, I'm willing to
give it a try if you think it's a good idea. Thanks for your help.

John

"John Riehl" wrote:

On Wednesday, November 14, 2007 7:09 PM
MowGreen [MVP] wrote:

80200053 = BG_E_VALIDATION_FAILED80070570 = ERROR_FILE_CORRUPTIf you're
80200053 = BG_E_VALIDATION_FAILED
80070570 = ERROR_FILE_CORRUPT

If you're uncomfortable disabling McAfee while connected to the
net/network, then download the updates manually, save them, close all
open browsers and programs, then disconnect the system, disable, McAfee,
and then install the updates.

Defender updates are here:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/default.aspx

Installation instructions for the Definitions here:
http://www.microsoft.com/security/portal/ADL.aspx#top

Then visit the MS Download Center for KB941229:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/info.aspx?na=22&p=1&SrcDisplayLang=en&SrcCategoryId=&SrcFamilyId=&u=%2fdownloads%2fdetails.aspx%3fFamilyID%3d48477121-4427-483d-8309-4c18de611bd4%26DisplayLang%3den
and KB941833:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/info.aspx?na=22&p=1&SrcDisplayLang=en&SrcCategoryId=&SrcFamilyId=&u=%2fdownloads%2fdetails.aspx%3fFamilyID%3d46a30073-c3df-473b-99e4-66380a5cc117%26DisplayLang%3den

The above are for the 32 bit [x86] versions of Vista.
If you need 64 bit versions, visit here and enter the KB #s in the
Search window:
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/Search.aspx?displaylang=en

You should read this, John:

You cannot turn on an optional feature, install a Windows update,
install a hotfix, or install a language pack on a Windows Vista-based
computer
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934538

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

John Riehl wrote:

On Saturday, November 17, 2007 7:01 PM
JohnRieh wrote:

MowGreen,Thanks for your continued patience.
MowGreen,

Thanks for your continued patience. I guess I'm surprised that a mainstream
anti-virus product like McAfee would intefere with Vista. However, I did
turn it all off and tried to install the updates...and they were
unsuccessful, returning the same errors as before. Is there some sort of a
log file or something that I can include that would help you and/or the
Microsoft engineers diagnose this problem? Thanks.

John

"MowGreen [MVP]" wrote:

On Sunday, November 18, 2007 4:17 PM
MowGreen [MVP] wrote:

John,Suggest you call in for no charge support.
John,

Suggest you call in for no charge support. Since the error code for
Defender is the same as the one for the MSXML update, use one of the 2
Free Support requests:
http://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?Gprid=11952

In the US the phone number is 866-PCSAFETY

I'm really not clear if the free support is limited to WD on XP or if it
includes Vista.

If you can not install Security updates, then MS offers no charge support.
Reliability/compatibility/stability updates are only supported by MS if
this is a Retail copy of Vista.
Otherwise it's up to the OEM to support the OS during the Warranty period.

You didn't mention whether you attempted to install this update:
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/934538
If not, then at least give it a shot prior to calling in.

MowGreen [MVP 2003-2008]
===============
*-343-* FDNY
Never Forgotten
===============

On Tuesday, January 19, 2010 5:10 AM
Mark Prestwood wrote:

Just fixed this error on my Windows 7 PC
I have had this problem since upgrading from XP to Vista and thought that the upgrade to Windows 7 would cure it, but it didn't.

The problem is with the TCP window scaling used by Vista and Windows 7 being incompatible with some routers. There are two fixes:
1) Change the router: I disabled SPI (Statefull Packet Inspection) on my Netgear WGR614 router and the problem went away
2) Use IPConfig to configure the OS to not use TCP Window Scaling - instructions are on the Microsoft site.

This problem also prevented me from downloading Adobe, Chrome, Skype and every other file I tried.

Hope this is of help to others.

MP in NZ.

On Saturday, April 10, 2010 5:07 PM
RobertAtHome wrote:

I have had this problem and I am running a Windows Vista Home Premium on
I have had this problem and I am running a Windows Vista Home Premium on a
Fujitsu Siemens Scaleo computer. My PC uses a wireless USB connection
(D-LINK DWA 140 Rangebooster) to a D-LINK DIR-655 Router.

I get this problem when I try to install IE 8.

I tried your idea with:
runas with the only user that is an administrator (not called administrator
though)
and then
netsh interface tcp set global autotuninglevel=disabled

Didn't work since this requires a raise in privilege. Any suggestions?

I seem to get this error code when trying to install IE updates.

Windows update shows the code 80070570 when trying to to security upgrade
to Windows Vista (KB974145). Gets a link to Microsoft security bulletin:
http://www.microsoft.com/technet/security/Bulletin/MS10-009.mspx
It is stated there that:
"The security update addresses the vulnerabilities by changing the way
Windows TCP/IP performs bounds checking and other packet handling operations."

Do I have some kind of TCP/IP problem on this computer?

Please advice

--
Thank you
RobertAtHome

"MowGreen" wrote:

On Sunday, April 11, 2010 1:55 PM
Robert Aldwinckle wrote:

Because your Administrator does not have a password assigned to it?
Because your Administrator does not have a password assigned to it? Add a
password to it then you can use it. Otherwise retry the procedure in a
safe mode boot with cmd only.

<cmd_output OS="W7">
C:\>set /a c = 0x570
1392
C:\>net helpmsg %c%

The file or directory is corrupted and unreadable.
</cmd_output>

That sounds unhealthy. ; }

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle