From: GSB on
The match filter I implemented does an Integrate and Dump. Some
Integrate and Dumps have the restriction that it perform the
calculations on the entire symbol size and that it starts the Integrate
at the start of the symbol. This method requires that the symbol size
and start of the bit transitions be known before the Integrate and Dump
can be correctly applied. However, the version of Integrate and Dump I
implemented does not require the calculations to start at the bit
transitions and can start from any position. In fact, my version
increments by only 1 sample at a time. The output is not bits but
transitions. This is done using both a sin and cos reference signal
where each is multiplied with the RF signal, squared, and then both are
summed. If you have four RF frequencies in the FSK modulation, then 4
sets of these calculations are needed where the maximum value denotes
the strongest RF signal. This procedure does have the restriction that
the Integrate and Dump be performed over the enire symbol size. The
FSK signal I am trying to decode will change baud speed so a fixed
symbol size cannot be used. Alternating 1 and 0's are used to derive
the baud speed. Therefore, the problem I am facing is to detect the
baud speed and then adjust the symbol size.

One method to detect the symbol size is to Integrate and Dump on the
smallest possible symbol size which is probably 300 bauds. Once the
current baud speed is found, a second Integrate and Dump (I & D) will
adjust its symbol size and decode the signals. However, if the first
I & D will detect a 1200 baud speed by using a symbol size of 300
bauds, then this will create some errors since the entire symbol size
is not being used for the I & D.

Does anyone have a better or different method in detecting the symbol
size?

From: Bevan Weiss on
GSB wrote:
> The match filter I implemented does an Integrate and Dump. Some
> Integrate and Dumps have the restriction that it perform the
> calculations on the entire symbol size and that it starts the Integrate
> at the start of the symbol. This method requires that the symbol size
> and start of the bit transitions be known before the Integrate and Dump
> can be correctly applied. However, the version of Integrate and Dump I
> implemented does not require the calculations to start at the bit
> transitions and can start from any position. In fact, my version
> increments by only 1 sample at a time. The output is not bits but
> transitions. This is done using both a sin and cos reference signal
> where each is multiplied with the RF signal, squared, and then both are
> summed. If you have four RF frequencies in the FSK modulation, then 4
> sets of these calculations are needed where the maximum value denotes
> the strongest RF signal. This procedure does have the restriction that
> the Integrate and Dump be performed over the enire symbol size. The
> FSK signal I am trying to decode will change baud speed so a fixed
> symbol size cannot be used. Alternating 1 and 0's are used to derive
> the baud speed. Therefore, the problem I am facing is to detect the
> baud speed and then adjust the symbol size.
>
> One method to detect the symbol size is to Integrate and Dump on the
> smallest possible symbol size which is probably 300 bauds. Once the
> current baud speed is found, a second Integrate and Dump (I & D) will
> adjust its symbol size and decode the signals. However, if the first
> I & D will detect a 1200 baud speed by using a symbol size of 300
> bauds, then this will create some errors since the entire symbol size
> is not being used for the I & D.
>
> Does anyone have a better or different method in detecting the symbol
> size?

From this I assume that you are using some kind of encoding such as
manchester encoding on the transmitted bits. You must have some bit
timing information to properly extract the bits, so you need to transmit
this as well as the actual bit information.
If you're using manchester encoding then you still perform matched
filtering, and could still use the integrate and dump method over half
the bit width, where the timing information can be obtained using a PLL
to sync to the bit transitions then multiply this by 2 to get the 'half
bit' periods.

I can't think of any clean way of doing this if using 4-FSK, unless you
have two sets of orthogonal 2-FSK each with manchester encoding on the
bitstream and then just multiplex them together at the receiving end.
I also haven't had much experience with different variants of FSK so
could be totally wrong bout the possibilities.
First  |  Prev  |
Pages: 1 2
Prev: whitening filter
Next: GMSK Simulation