From: Gregor Kofler on
Am 2010-07-27 21:15, Ry Nohryb meinte:
> On Jul 27, 6:29 pm, Matt Kruse<m...(a)thekrusefamily.com> wrote:

>> Basically, I don't see your point. (...)
>
> That there's nothing in CRs that produce memory leaks, that CRs can be
> garbage collected properly, that CRs are useful, that CRs are a
> perfectly OK thing to do. As expandos, BTW. That what's broken is IE.
> That JavaScript/The Web coding style should not be dictated by IE's
> bugs no longer, not any more, that statements such as "don't use NFEs"
> or "circular references produce memory leaks" are bullshit, that
> you're fighting the wrong enemy. That the problem isn't CRs or NFEs,
> that the problem is Microsoft, Microsoft's attitude, and its Internet
> Explorers. That there are at least 4 very good alternatives to solve
> this no-problem: Safari, Chrome, Opera and FireFox. And that the
> people (the users) should receive this message clear and loudly and
> asap, because that's the reason that will make them want to switch to
> a better browser, to one that's not broken.
>
> But they need to be told. They're not programmers. They don't know
> what's going on. They need to receive the message clearly.

They don't care what's going on. And they don't need to know, either.
They are the customers. If you tell them you'd only code for W3C
compliant browsers, and they should kindly use the browser, you request,
they will most likely move on to some competitor, who is capable of
dealing with IEs shortcomings.

[over the top rants snipped]

What have you been smoking lately?

Gregor

--
http://www.gregorkofler.com
From: Alan Gutierrez on
Matt Kruse wrote:
> On Jul 27, 3:14 pm, Ry Nohryb <jo...(a)jorgechamorro.com> wrote:
>> On Jul 27, 10:02 pm, Matt Kruse <m...(a)thekrusefamily.com> wrote:
>>> Or, because it supports ActiveX in an internal corporate intranet
>>> environment, where webapps can create and manipulate MSOffice objects
>>> to integrate existing business documents with database-driven webapps.
>>> Your other "Big 4" browser alternatives fail miserably in this regard.
>> But I'm talking about web browsers, and ActiveX has nothing to do with
>> the web.
>
> Right, right, right... and you make absolutely no sense.

You're arguing Jeorge's point. He's saying that if he makes a decision
not to support Internet Explorer, than he can count on correct garbage
collection. If there is a problem, he can dictate the browser.

You're not arguing that support for IE is necessary for ActiveX
applications, which is to say, you're arguing a proprietary path. If you
can dictate the browser based on application requirements (ActiveX) then
you can dictate the browser based on application requirements (proper
garbage collection).

--
Alan Gutierrez - alan(a)blogometer.com - http://twitter.com/bigeasy
From: Alan Gutierrez on
David Mark wrote:
> On Jul 28, 3:25 pm, Alan Gutierrez <a...(a)blogometer.com> wrote:
>> Matt Kruse wrote:
>>> Right, right, right... and you make absolutely no sense.
>> You're arguing Jeorge's point. He's saying that if he makes a decision
>> not to support Internet Explorer, than he can count on correct garbage
>> collection. If there is a problem, he can dictate the browser.
>
> And both of those arguments are patently absurd. For one, Jorge is
> the dictator of a banana republic that exists only in his head. "El
> Abuelo" has no such powers in the real world.

Both of which arguments? Matt is saying that the other browsers do not
support ActiveX. Maybe I misunderstand why this is relevant to Matt. I
assume he is saying that is an argument in favor of IE.

>> You're not arguing that support for IE is necessary for ActiveX
>> applications, which is to say, you're arguing a proprietary path.
>
> He's not arguing that support for IE is necessary for ActiveX. So he
> is arguing that ActiveX requires IE? That's not entirely accurate,
> but no matter as I don't see the relevancy of any of it.

You choose not to see.

>> If you
>> can dictate the browser based on application requirements (ActiveX) then
>> you can dictate the browser based on application requirements (proper
>> garbage collection).
>>

> You can't dictate anything on the Web with regard to the end-user's
> choice of browser.

If you can deploy ActiveX, then you can deploy No IE. If you are in a
position to say no to a one group of browsers, then you are in a
position to say no to another group of browsers. If it is the case that
you are deploying a proprietary technology like ActiveX, then it is the
case that there are situations where the application matters more than
the browser, so requirements dictate the browser instead of the browser
dictating the requirements.

--
Alan Gutierrez - alan(a)blogometer.com - http://twitter.com/bigeasy
From: Alan Gutierrez on

From: Alan Gutierrez on
Richard Cornford wrote:
> Alan Gutierrez wrote:
>> David Mark wrote:
>>>
>>> And both of those arguments are patently absurd. For one, Jorge
>>> is the dictator of a banana republic that exists only in his
>>> head. "El Abuelo" has no such powers in the real world.
>>
>> Both of which arguments? Matt is saying that the other browsers
>> do not support ActiveX. Maybe I misunderstand why this is
>> relevant to Matt. I assume he is saying that is an argument
>> in favor of IE.
>
> It isn't an argument about IE, it is just an observation about IE. There
> are business in the world that have intranets on which they have
> browser-based applications that they use in order to conduct their
> business. Some of these applications use ActiveX (because ActiveX can do
> things that ordinary web browsers just cannot, in some cases) and these
> businesses will not be giving these applications up because they
> need/want them. So in these environments the browser installed on the
> business's (likely 'locked down') desktops will be IE.
>
> If you want to sell into that sort of environment then you have to cope
> with IE, because if you don't the sales will go to your competition,
> because the client dictates the environment.
>
> That is the reality in web application development, but it has obvious
> implications for the general web, particularly e-commerce. If someone
> working for such a business is going to do a bit of online shopping
> during their breaks (and there is no point in pretending that they
> don't) then they will be using IE to do it. Now the online shop that
> doesn't support IE is losing the business to its competitors that do.
> And remember that these potential customers are, by definition, in
> employment, and very often in well-paid employment (exactly the sort of
> customers most business want).

If it is the case that you are deploying a proprietary technology like
ActiveX, then it is the case that there are situations where the
application matters more than the browser, so requirements dictate the
browser instead of the browser dictating the requirements.

Therefore, if I'm building a web application and I want to target the
iPad, people obviously have disposable income, I can use HTML 5 and
JavaScript and have enough return on investment to not worry about
people taking call center breaks. Online shopping is one application of
the web, but there are others.

Let's say I want a single purpose front end and the entire organization
is committed to running one application and wants the shortest path to a
working application. So, I choose Chrome and HTML 5 and a JavaScript
implementation that has property garbage collection.

>>> You can't dictate anything on the Web with regard to the
>>> end-user's choice of browser.
>>
>> If you can deploy ActiveX, then you can deploy No IE.
>
> If someone else has already deployed ActiveX on an Intranet then it is
> too late to start insisting that a customer only use non-IE browser.

If someone else has made a decision to limit the platform, then it is
obviously the case that a decision to limit the platform can be made, is
made, that this is something that can occur.

>> If you are in a position to say no to a one group of browsers,
>> then you are in a position to say no to another group of
>> browsers.
>
> And if you were never in a position to say either?

And if you were always in a position to say both? (I feel like a clj
sensei now.)

--
Alan Gutierrez - alan(a)blogometer.com - http://twitter.com/bigeasy