From: Ry Nohryb on
"Software development is hampered by a specific set of design mistakes
that were made in the first programming languages and repeated in
everything that has been done since. And, somewhat miraculously,
JavaScript is going to make it right, radically transforming the way
we write applications. Again. In the Loop of History, it has all
happened before, but it has never happened like this. This is why you
should care about the emergence of server-side JavaScript and the
excitement around projects like Node.js -- not because they're at the
sharp end of a trend, but because they're paving the road toward the
next big revolution in software."

Details:

When: August 27th 5:30pm
Where: Yahoo! HQ * URLS Cafe(Main Cafeteria)

5:30pm-6:00pm: Pizza, Networking, Recruiting announcements.
6:00pm-7:30pm: Douglas Crockford: Loopage

http://www.meetup.com/BayJax/calendar/14371278/
--
Jorge.
From: Erwin Moller on
On 8/10/2010 11:03 AM, Ry Nohryb wrote:
> "Software development is hampered by a specific set of design mistakes
> that were made in the first programming languages and repeated in
> everything that has been done since. And, somewhat miraculously,
> JavaScript is going to make it right, radically transforming the way
> we write applications. Again. In the Loop of History, it has all
> happened before, but it has never happened like this. This is why you
> should care about the emergence of server-side JavaScript and the
> excitement around projects like Node.js -- not because they're at the
> sharp end of a trend, but because they're paving the road toward the
> next big revolution in software."
>
> Details:
>
> When: August 27th 5:30pm
> Where: Yahoo! HQ * URLS Cafe(Main Cafeteria)
>
> 5:30pm-6:00pm: Pizza, Networking, Recruiting announcements.
> 6:00pm-7:30pm: Douglas Crockford: Loopage
>
> http://www.meetup.com/BayJax/calendar/14371278/
> --
> Jorge.

Node.js again?
I am possibly very dense, but I don't understand what the fuzz is all
about. Node.js is receiving a very enthusiastic welcome everywhere.

Look at http://nodejs.org/api.html : It is just another serverside
language. I don't see anything that makes it very special so far.

Don't get me wrong, I make a living coding serverside, but what makes
this node.js so special?
It all sounds like a hype to me, but I haven't used it yet.

What do the good people in here think about node.js?

Regards,
Erwin Moller

-- C.A.R. Hoare
From: Matija Papec on
Erwin Moller wrote:
> Look at http://nodejs.org/api.html : It is just another serverside
> language. I don't see anything that makes it very special so far.
>
> Don't get me wrong, I make a living coding serverside, but what makes
> this node.js so special?

Nothing special, it looks great to people who know only javascript so it
makes sense to them.
From: Matt Kruse on
On Aug 10, 4:03 am, Ry Nohryb <jo...(a)jorgechamorro.com> wrote:
> When: August 27th 5:30pm
> Where: Yahoo! HQ * URLS Cafe(Main Cafeteria)
> 5:30pm-6:00pm: Pizza, Networking, Recruiting announcements.
> 6:00pm-7:30pm: Douglas Crockford: Loopage

Hmm... looks like they're serving the kool-aid. Drink up!

Revolutions don't happen without guns.

Matt Kruse
From: Ry Nohryb on

See: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=F6k8lTrAE2g