From: sc_usenet on
On Oct 8, 8:37 am, dave <d...(a)amd.localhost.comcast.net> wrote:
> JYA <nos...(a)nospam.blah> wrote:
> > On 2007-10-08 00:21:38 +1000, sc_use...(a)hotmail.com said:
>
> >> Interesting how it works with ROM 2.10-7 on the 49G but not the 50g.
>
> > There are no differences whatsoever between the HP50 and the HP49
> > firmware... So either you don't have the same flag settings, or you
> > don't run the same program/version
>
> What is the program used to compute the result?
> --

You mean PARI/GP? It is a computer program for number theory
calculations: http://pari.math.u-bordeaux.fr/

From: dave on
sc_usenet(a)hotmail.com wrote:
> On Oct 8, 8:37 am, dave <d...(a)amd.localhost.comcast.net> wrote:
>> JYA <nos...(a)nospam.blah> wrote:

>> > There are no differences whatsoever between the HP50 and the HP49
>> > firmware... So either you don't have the same flag settings, or you
>> > don't run the same program/version
>>
>> What is the program used to compute the result?
>> --
>

> You mean PARI/GP? It is a computer program for number theory
> calculations: http://pari.math.u-bordeaux.fr/

Thanks!
From: Bicky-Bock on
After re-booting HP 50G number now factored by FACTORS correctly - besides
false factoring I noticed no other problems. Serial Nr CNA 61807444.

From: Greg M. on
Bicky-Bock wrote:

> After re-booting HP 50G number now factored by FACTORS correctly - besides
> false factoring I noticed no other problems. Serial Nr CNA 61807444.

Perhaps your flags settings caused slower operation of FACTOR.

I think FACTOR times out after 1 min. if it can't find any factors.

Please see a post I wrote awhile back:

http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.hp48/msg/259cacd1cfc6843e

This might not be the problem, though, since my 49g+ only takes ~6 seconds
to factor 17^17+2, which is nowhere near 60s.

Greg M.
From: sc_usenet on
On Oct 8, 2:45 pm, "Greg M." <grego...(a)insightbb.com> wrote:
> Bicky-Bock wrote:
> > After re-booting HP 50G number now factored by FACTORS correctly - besides
> > false factoring I noticed no other problems. Serial Nr CNA 61807444.
>
> Perhaps your flags settings caused slower operation of FACTOR.
>
> I think FACTOR times out after 1 min. if it can't find any factors.
>
> Please see a post I wrote awhile back:
>
> http://groups.google.com/group/comp.sys.hp48/msg/259cacd1cfc6843e
>
> This might not be the problem, though, since my 49g+ only takes ~6 seconds
> to factor 17^17+2, which is nowhere near 60s.
>
> Greg M.

I wish they would omit the 60 second time-out. Since ON would break
the routine anyway, they should have left it to the user to break.

In your post, you said that the 50g took 532 seconds to factor 2^67-1.
A HW2 TI-89 took 213 seconds. I wonder what kind of algorithm those
guys in Texas are using. Then again, the FACTOR routine is probably
emulated on the ARM machines.

Of course, PARI can factor this in 15 ms. :)