From: dallasja on
I am also having this exact same problem. Same error message in update log
and also cannot delete the files/directory with an access denied error. I
have 4 Win2k3 servers and this is the only one with the problem. I am logged
on as administrator, but still no luck to delete the file. No firewall but I
do have AV. I don't believe it is the AV since it's idential to the other 4
servers not having a problem.

I have been searching for hours/days for this problem.

Please if anyone has any insight I would greatly appreciate it! Can't keep
my server up to date until this is fixed.

Thanks!
--
Susie

From: Robert Aldwinckle on

"dallasja" <dallasja(a)discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:3D387E38-FCAE-478D-ACE8-D70E492CE4D1(a)microsoft.com...

>I am also having this exact same problem. Same error message in update log

Which log? If it is the install log what's the context? If there is insufficient
context in the install log (or any other diagnostics that the install creates,
such as an entry in the event log) you could supplement whatever diagnostics
are being created by using ProcMon. Note that you can infer the write
of specific log records in the trace based on the sequence of the writes
and their lengths. You can use Notepad to determine the length of a log record.

HTH

Robert Aldwinckle
---

From: dallasja on
Errors are recorded in the windowsupdate.log, updates will not download.
Error code reported from Windows update site is error code 0x80070005. In
the the windowsupdate.log the same error code is being reported.

Apparently it has to do with copying/deleting updates in the
%system%/SoftwareDistribution/download directory. As indicated in the 2
posts above there is the error reported in the windowsupdate.log. If you try
to manually delete the folder and file and access denied message appears.
Can't delte it, can't download updates in order to install. This is a huge
problem since I can't keep the server up to date with security updates.

I have 4 other servers, all same OS, that are not experiencing this problem.
Really need help with this.
--
Susie

From: dallasja on
Additionally here is the contents of the windowsupdate.log where it indicates
failure:

DnldMgr * Call ID = {A9DC61A1-77BC-42E7-BAD2-8D1E89653C50}
DnldMgr * Priority = 2, Interactive = 0, Owner is system = 1, Explicit
proxy = 0, Proxy session id = -1, ServiceId =
{3DA21691-E39D-4DA6-8A4B-B43877BCB1B7}
DnldMgr * Updates to download = 1
Agent * Title = Update for Windows Server 2003 (KB970430)
Agent * UpdateId = {F715AC14-D7C3-4A56-94CF-2ED2D4C8E4E7}.101
Agent * Bundles 1 updates:
Agent * {018044FD-2C40-45D7-B19A-387FFE22BFE0}.101
AU # Pending download calls = 1
AU <<## SUBMITTED ## AU: Download updates
DnldMgr *********** DnldMgr: New download job [UpdateId =
{018044FD-2C40-45D7-B19A-387FFE22BFE0}.101] ***********
DnldMgr * Queueing update for download handler request generation.
DnldMgr Generating download request for update
{018044FD-2C40-45D7-B19A-387FFE22BFE0}.101
Misc FATAL: Failed to delete file
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\84a7450ffef244ba5647e75a14c16c2a\update\update.url (hr = 80070005) after 0 retries
Misc FATAL: Failed to copy file from
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\cde25826497059fb19f95ebab00b0ea9\update\update.url
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\84a7450ffef244ba5647e75a14c16c2a\update\update.url (hr = 80070005) after 10 retries
Misc FATAL: Failed to delete file
C:\WINDOWS\SoftwareDistribution\Download\84a7450ffef244ba5647e75a14c16c2a\update\update.url (hr = 80070005) after 0 retries
DnldMgr FATAL: DM:CAgentDownloadManager::GenerateAllDownloadRequests:
SusCopyDirectoryContents failed with 0x80070005.
DnldMgr FATAL: DM:CAgentDownloadManager::GenerateAllDownloadRequests:
GenerateDownloadRequest failed with 0x80070005.
DnldMgr Error 0x80070005 occurred while downloading update; notifying
dependent calls.
Agent *********
Agent ** END ** Agent: Downloading updates [CallerId = AutomaticUpdates]
Agent *************
AU >>## RESUMED ## AU: Download update [UpdateId =
{F715AC14-D7C3-4A56-94CF-2ED2D4C8E4E7}]
AU # WARNING: Download failed, error = 0x80070005

--
Susie

From: sbogar on
You can use ProcessExplorer to find out which files have update.url locked
and then kill those processes to unlock the file so you can delete it.

In my case, cidaemon.exe was the offending culprit...

-enjoy!