From: sharonf on
My son had False Alert Trojan on his computer which was detected and
removed by Spybot. The Trojan also changed the Lan settings under IE
which I had to go in and change. Everything is showing up clean now and
working fine....except for Windows Security Center. It keeps showing an
alert saying that his Virus Protection is out of date but it is not. It
is on automatic update and a check shows that everything is up to date
there. How to I get rid of that False alert?
From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
Your son has *much* more work to do!

Microsoft PCSafety provides home users (only) with no-charge support in
dealing with malware infections such as viruses, spyware (including unwanted
software), and adware.
https://support.microsoft.com/oas/default.aspx?&prid=7552&st=1

Also available via the Consumer Security Support home page:

Otherwise...

2a. WinXP => Run the Windows Live Safety Center's 'Protection' scan (only!)
in Safe Mode with Networking, if need be:

2b. Vista or Win7=> Run this scan instead:
http://onecare.live.com/site/en-us/center/whatsnew.htm

3. Now run a thorough check for hijackware, including posting requested logs
in an appropriate forum, not here. DO NOT SKIP THIS STEP!!

Checking for/Help with Hijackware:
.. http://mvps.org/winhelp2002/unwanted.htm
.. http://inetexplorer.mvps.org/tshoot.html
.. http://www.mvps.org/sramesh2k/Malware_Defence.htm
.. http://www.elephantboycomputers.com/page2.html#Removing_Malware

**Chances are you will need to seek expert assistance in
http://spywarehammer.com/simplemachinesforum/index.php?board=10.0,
http://www.bluetack.co.uk/forums/index.php,
http://aumha.net/viewforum.php?f=30 or other appropriate forums.**

~Robear Dyer (PA Bear)

From: csingsaas on

I would also download Malwarebytes. In my opinion it is the best program
for removing those type of infections out there today.

http://www.malwarebytes.org