From: Vladimir Vassilevsky on

John David Eriksen wrote:

> On Aug 9, 6:29 am, Vladimir Vassilevsky <nos...(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
>
>>John David Eriksen wrote:
>>
>>>When I'm done analyzing a chunk of sound, I want the following
>>>information. I want the average amplitude of the energy at the given
>>>frequency bands over the length of the sound sample expressed as a
>>>floating-point value between 0 and 1.0:
>>>I'm looking for something quick and dirty that can execute quickly.
>>
>>Use a simplest zero crossing period counter.
>>Make a hystogram of half-periods.
>>
> Thanks for your help. Correct me if I am wrong, but doesn't zero
> crossing information fail to give me any information about amplitude?

FWIW, the relation of the different columns in the histogram gives you
the relative estimate of energies at the corresponding frequencies.

Vladimir Vassilevsky
DSP and Mixed Signal Design Consultant
http://www.abvolt.com
From: John David Eriksen on
On Aug 9, 10:49 am, jacko <jackokr...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> high pass the top half of your spectrum and measure the range min,max.
> square your residual and repeat for an octave division... normalize
> outputs to approximate unit range.
>
> Not as quick as Vlad's but will be different.
>
> Cheers Jacko

Hey Jacko,

Thanks for your suggestion. Much of your terminology is unfamiliar --
it looks like I have quite a bit to learn. I have access to FFT
libraries, but it looks like I have to perform operations on my data
once I have it in the frequency domain that may not be supported by
available Java libraries.

It looks like I'm either going to have to hit the books or keep
searching around for well-documented and ready-made software packages
that can help me out.

Thanks again,

John David
From: Ron N. on
On Aug 9, 5:29 am, Vladimir Vassilevsky <nos...(a)nowhere.com> wrote:
> John David Eriksen wrote:
> > When I'm done analyzing a chunk of sound, I want the following
> > information. I want the average amplitude of the energy at the given
> > frequency bands over the length of the sound sample expressed as a
> > floating-point value between 0 and 1.0:
> > I'm looking for something quick and dirty that can execute quickly.
>
> Use a simplest zero crossing period counter.
> Make a hystogram of half-periods.

Yet another option similar to this is to create a histogram
of the times between local maxima/minima inflection points;
or a 2D histogram using both time and delta amplitude
between these local extrema points.

--
rhn A.T nicholson d.0.t C-o-M
http://www.nicholson.com/rhn/dsp.html