From: Brian Candler on
Diego Bernardes wrote:
> About that, yes, its true, most mail block external images. But is the
> only way i can know if the user has read or not the mail.
> And the list is send to people who wants the mail, they trust in the
> mail content.
> Have any other way to track the mails?

Not really. Some mailers will honour requests for return receipts, but
they will pop up a dialog first asking the user if they're happy to send
it back.

The best I can think of is that you could put the content they're
looking for on a web page, then just E-mail them a short message with
the link. e.g. "Click here to read this month's newsletter". Include a
unique cookie in the link, e.g. as a query parameter. Then you can tell
if they clicked through or not.

The real question is, what problem are you trying to solve by
determining whether the user opened the mail or not?

If the problem is a commercial one (e.g. your customer wants to pay you
based on the number of E-mails opened, not the number of E-mails
delivered) then you could use surveys or statistical samples to estimate
what proportion of their E-mails is opened. In other words, a bit like
TV viewer figures.

B.

From: Diego Bernardes on
Brian Candler wrote:
> Diego Bernardes wrote:
>> About that, yes, its true, most mail block external images. But is the
>> only way i can know if the user has read or not the mail.
>> And the list is send to people who wants the mail, they trust in the
>> mail content.
>> Have any other way to track the mails?
>
> Not really. Some mailers will honour requests for return receipts, but
> they will pop up a dialog first asking the user if they're happy to send
> it back.
>
> The best I can think of is that you could put the content they're
> looking for on a web page, then just E-mail them a short message with
> the link. e.g. "Click here to read this month's newsletter". Include a
> unique cookie in the link, e.g. as a query parameter. Then you can tell
> if they clicked through or not.
>
> The real question is, what problem are you trying to solve by
> determining whether the user opened the mail or not?
>
> If the problem is a commercial one (e.g. your customer wants to pay you
> based on the number of E-mails opened, not the number of E-mails
> delivered) then you could use surveys or statistical samples to estimate
> what proportion of their E-mails is opened. In other words, a bit like
> TV viewer figures.
>
> B.

The issue is, this system deal with marketing mail, know if the user has
open mail is useful to my client for a lot of reasons, like, later this
numbers turn into reports so they can discuss a new strategy and so.

And yea its a good idea to direct the user to a website using some query
string to track.

Diego.