From: The Waker on
I'm using FF 1.5 and I have a broadband connection.

Is one better than the other? Or should I use both?

Thanks.

From: gwtc on
The Waker wrote:

> I'm using FF 1.5 and I have a broadband connection.
>
> Is one better than the other? Or should I use both?
>
> Thanks.

both tweaks the settings of pipelining. In the address bar type in
about:config and in the filter type in pipe. There will be about 3
settings there. For some sites, pipelining doesn't work and can cause
more problems than its worth.

Since you have a broadband connection, then in my opinion I would
forget about those tweaking. You already have a fast connection.
From the postings I've come across, most people who do have a high
speed connection, haven't noticed a any difference, and a lot of those
people have uninstalled them. IMO, I think those tweaks would be good
if you're on dialup.
From: R Hickey on
gwtc <TheNewGWTC(a)pppmppfmpfmmmmfmmmpfmmpp.pppmppfmp> wrote in

> The Waker wrote:
>
>> I'm using FF 1.5 and I have a broadband connection.
>>
>> Is one better than the other? Or should I use both?
>>
>> Thanks.
>>

> both tweaks the settings of pipelining. In the address bar type in
> about:config and in the filter type in pipe. There will be about 3
> settings there. For some sites, pipelining doesn't work and can cause
> more problems than its worth.
>
> Since you have a broadband connection, then in my opinion I would
> forget about those tweaking. You already have a fast connection.
> From the postings I've come across, most people who do have a high
> speed connection, haven't noticed a any difference, and a lot of those
> people have uninstalled them. IMO, I think those tweaks would be good
> if you're on dialup.

I am no expert but have used both Fasterfox and Firetune. Two different
animals from my experience.

Fasterfox makes (supposedly...) pages load faster when you surf. It
works (there's a little counter in the lower corner) but the improvement
was negligable with a DSL connection.

Firetune makes Firefox _start up_ faster and doesn't (at least not that
I could tell) affect page loading speed. It works well but I can't seem
to make the settings stick.

I run Firetune and save the settings and FF starts a bit quicker than
without Firetune after that. Shutting down the computer causes (as far
as I can tell) FF to go back to a little sluggishness upon startup. IAC,
give 'em a try.

And then there's always the Firefox preloader. It makes FF load really
fast (my exerience) and I liked it a lot but unrelated popup advertising
problems caused me to, sadly, have to stop using the preloader. But it
does work!

Robert

Pages: 1
Prev: Firefox won't open Visio files