From: Mike Scott on
M. Fioretti wrote:
> On Tue, Feb 23, 2010 12:14:59 PM -0800, hans nobody (hans01122(a)yahoo.de) wrote:
>> Hi all,
>>
>> At work (where we unfortunately have to use MS Office), I have often
>> the need to create a presentation or text-document made up by a
>> couple of fotos with comments, to explain or document mechanical
>> engineering problems.
>> I'm wondering, if there is a plug-in/add-on or similar available for
>> Open Office that would ease my work. Such a tool would save me (and
>> for sure, many other office workers) a lot of time.
>
> Hans,
>
> in case you still have that need, you can surely do that kind of stuff
> with shell and Perl scripts: just look at the "What's next" section of
> http://freesoftware.zona-m.net/why-and-how-opendocument-format-can-save-you-lot-time
>
> If you can follow that approach, you don't even have to _have_
> OpenOffice installed, except, probably, to run it at the end of the
> process, to convert the OpenDocument files to MS Office formats.
>
> The easyness with which everybody can do this kind of things with
> OpenDocument is, in and by itself, enough of a reason to abandon MS
> Office formats for good, in favor of OpenDocument

As you say, it's not that hard to do the coding. I just looked at
http://ooolib.sourceforge.net. Unfortunately this project looks
/extremely/ out of date, generating .sx* files, and is hardly a
recommended starting point. But if the OP still has a desperate need, it
might be worth a look. I don't suppose anyone has a more up-to-date
version of this???

FWIW I have web page for automatic generation of service sheets for
church. It generates a fully formatted OOo document from an original
example (which defines the styles, etc) which has its xml modified by a
perl script as appropriate. It's not exactly hard to do, although I
admit my code is grubby rather than elegant :-). Subsequently, OOo
macros allow optional pdf (or .doc) conversion (that's harder :-{ ) If
the OP is still interested, I could supply example scripts for that and
a certificate generator (used by my wife for her music pupils).

(When I compare the ease of doing that with earlier attempts to generate
rtf files, there's really no comparison. +1 to MF's closing paragraph.)

--
Mike Scott

For additional commands, e-mail: discuss-help(a)openoffice.org