From: JC Putter on
hi everyone,

i have a postfix (2.3.3) server running with fetchmail to retrieve mail from
the actual mailserver, the problem is that only the office users get their
my from the local postfix/fetchmail server, the remote users connect to the
actual internet mailserver, the office users can send mail to the remote
users (user does not exist...) (i understand why).

is it possible to configure postfix to relay mail to the domain mx if it
cant find the users on the system?

thank you.
From: Stan Hoeppner on
JC Putter put forth on 6/13/2010 1:03 PM:
> hi everyone,
>
> i have a postfix (2.3.3) server running with fetchmail to retrieve mail from
> the actual mailserver, the problem is that only the office users get their
> my from the local postfix/fetchmail server, the remote users connect to the
> actual internet mailserver, the office users can send mail to the remote
> users (user does not exist...) (i understand why).
>
> is it possible to configure postfix to relay mail to the domain mx if it
> cant find the users on the system?

Stan

From: "Matthias Andree" on
Am 14.06.2010, 10:07 Uhr, schrieb JC Putter:

(about: User unknown in local recipient maps)

> as the log show that a person is trying to email a user that does not
> have a local account on the postfix server, (the users does have an
> account on the mx host) id like postfix to try and deliver to mail to
> the mx host

Still haven't understood your setup and have neither time nor energy to
ask again.

I'll bluntly point you to local(8) and the fallback_transport_maps,
fallback_transport, and luser_relay parameters. Check the docs if these
help.

Also note that list traffic should be answered on the list. If your mailer
doesn't have a list reply button, get a better mailer or for the nonce use
reply to all. Redirecting to the list.

--
Matthias Andree

From: "Matthias Andree" on
(To be fair, J C Potter provided a pastebin snippet with postconf -n, and
the smtpd reject log line, but I'm not forwarding those to the list so as
not to breach privacy.)

--
Matthias Andree

From: mouss on
JC Putter a �crit :
> hi everyone,
>
> i have a postfix (2.3.3) server running with fetchmail to retrieve mail
> from the actual mailserver, the problem is that only the office users
> get their my from the local postfix/fetchmail server,

nobody "gets" mail using postfix nor fetchmail. users "get" mail via pop
or imap. what do you really mean?

> the remote users
> connect to the actual internet mailserver, the office users can send
> mail to the remote users (user does not exist...) (i understand why).

is that a "can" or "can't"? because you say "can" yet you say "user does
not exist".

if there's a problem, please follow the list welcome recommendation:
- explain the problem. state this as simply as possible. prefer short
and clear sentences (avoid "litterature"...).

- show you 'postconf -n'.

> is it possible to configure postfix to relay mail to the domain mx if
> it cant find the users on the system?

depends on the situation... there's no magic bullet that works for every
situation.

one way that works is to list the users that are "local". this can be
done with virtual_alias_maps.

joe(a)example.com joe(a)localhost.example
jim(a)example.com jim(a)localhost.example

and list example.com as a relay domain. ... etc.