From: Martin Knauer on
Hi,

after having some issues with File-Permissions during attach attempts, I
played around a bit and found something weird which I'd like someone to
confirm:

Scenario:
- Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
- SQL Server 2008 Developer Edition (Version 10.0.2531.0)
- Database for testing: "Test"
- SSMS running under my local user account being sysadmin

State #1
- SQL-Server stopped
- Database "Test" attached
- To see File-Permissions I need to Elevate User-rigths in Explorer
- File-Permissions on Test.mdf & Test.ldf:
- Owner Rights: Full Control
- SQLServerMSSQLUser$... : Full Control
- Administrators : Full Control

State #2
- SQL-Server started
- Database "Test" attached
- To see File-Permissions I need to Elevate User-rigths in Explorer
- File-Permissions on Test.mdf & Test.ldf: (same as State #1)
- Owner Rights: Full Control
- SQLServerMSSQLUser$... : Full Control
- Administrators : Full Control

State #3
- SQL-Server started
- Database "Test" detached
- To see File-Permissions I need NOT to Elevate User-rigths in Explorer
- File-Permissions on Test.mdf & Test.ldf:
- my User-Account: Full Control

=> In order to ATTACH a DB the user trying to start the action needs
"Full Control"-Rights on the files (mdf & ldf) ?

I always thought it's the account the SQL-Server is running who needs
access to the files in order to attach the DB... ?

TIA

--
Martin Knauer
From: RJ Roberts on
If the user performing the Attach is different than the service account BOTH
need the full control permission to attach files. Otherwise the dreaded
Error 5 occurs.

HTH
--
RJ Roberts
DB Architect/Developer

"Martin Knauer" wrote:

> Hi,
>
> after having some issues with File-Permissions during attach attempts, I
> played around a bit and found something weird which I'd like someone to
> confirm:
>

> Scenario:
> - Windows 7 Ultimate 64 bit
> - SQL Server 2008 Developer Edition (Version 10.0.2531.0)
> - Database for testing: "Test"
> - SSMS running under my local user account being sysadmin
>

> State #1
> - SQL-Server stopped
> - Database "Test" attached
> - To see File-Permissions I need to Elevate User-rigths in Explorer
> - File-Permissions on Test.mdf & Test.ldf:
> - Owner Rights: Full Control
> - SQLServerMSSQLUser$... : Full Control
> - Administrators : Full Control
>
> State #2
> - SQL-Server started
> - Database "Test" attached
> - To see File-Permissions I need to Elevate User-rigths in Explorer
> - File-Permissions on Test.mdf & Test.ldf: (same as State #1)
> - Owner Rights: Full Control
> - SQLServerMSSQLUser$... : Full Control
> - Administrators : Full Control
>
> State #3
> - SQL-Server started
> - Database "Test" detached
> - To see File-Permissions I need NOT to Elevate User-rigths in Explorer
> - File-Permissions on Test.mdf & Test.ldf:
> - my User-Account: Full Control
>

> => In order to ATTACH a DB the user trying to start the action needs
> "Full Control"-Rights on the files (mdf & ldf) ?
>
> I always thought it's the account the SQL-Server is running who needs
> access to the files in order to attach the DB... ?
>
> TIA
>
> --
> Martin Knauer
> .