Prev: Hmm
Next: Proving God
From: "Jintsfan28" Tad Late on

About six feet behind me sits the brand new PC, connected to the
new HD monitor, each yet to be fired up. Researching the movement
of files and data and tunes and such from old to new, in the Transfer
Wizard app, it mentions that the optimal way to use the wizard
for transferring files and settings is to have either a network (not an
option) or a direct cable connection. Okay, I'm game.

Which raises a host of questions. Most importantly, what kind of cable,
connected at what spot? I have a USB cable that connects the new PC
to its new monitor. Can I just use an empty USB port on the old PC
and any one of the eight USB ports on the new PC, power them up,
and run Files and Settings Transfer Wizard and trust the software to
use that connection. Kinda sounds dangerously simplistic to me.

Can anyone offer some guidance on this "direct cable connection",
as to what kind of cable is needed and where specifically the two PCs
get connected?

TIA

From: Steve Urbach on
On Sat, 6 Feb 2010 10:30:36 -0500, "Jintsfan28" <Tad Late Again(a)aol.com>
wrote:

>About six feet behind me sits the brand new PC, connected to the
>new HD monitor, each yet to be fired up. Researching the movement
>of files and data and tunes and such from old to new, in the Transfer
>Wizard app, it mentions that the optimal way to use the wizard
>for transferring files and settings is to have either a network (not an
>option) or a direct cable connection. Okay, I'm game.
Why, Not an option?

You can have a "Network" of just 2 devices. All you need is a CAT5 crossover
cable (or adapter and normal cable) or a hub/switch and 2 cables.
You will need to Set the IP manually 192.168.0.2 and 192.168.0.3
Mask 255.255.255.0

>Which raises a host of questions. Most importantly, what kind of cable,
>connected at what spot? I have a USB cable that connects the new PC
>to its new monitor. Can I just use an empty USB port on the old PC
>and any one of the eight USB ports on the new PC, power them up,
>and run Files and Settings Transfer Wizard and trust the software to
>use that connection. Kinda sounds dangerously simplistic to me.
>
>Can anyone offer some guidance on this "direct cable connection",
>as to what kind of cable is needed and where specifically the two PCs
>get connected?
There is a special "PC Link" USB cable. Both ends are the rectangular type
and there may be a small amount of electronics in the "bulge"

Do both boxes have LPT ports? Use a "Laplink" cable
(Caution: I am not sure that Transfer wizard supports LPT transfers any more)

Same question, but COMx port? Use a serial Crossover cable.

>TIA

The Network cable is the fastest.
USB(2) next
LPT