From: Tim Wescott on
On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 08:39:24 -0500, Jerry Avins wrote:

> rammya.tv wrote:

> > thanx for ur response still
> > i didnt get what u mean??
> > first off all i'm new to this field.
> > i made another mistake
> > what i meant is in the expresion w0=2*pi*f0 value of pi 1s 180 or
> > 3.14.
> > with regards
>
> According to one passage in the Bible, pi is three. Various legislators
> at various times introduced ordinances to set the value of pi at some
> convenient rational fraction. No ordinance can affect the value of a
> physical constant. Pi remains 3.1415926535897932384626433832795...
> despite their efforts. 355/113 comes close.

At least one of those efforts that I know of makes perfect sense. The
value of lumber coming from state forests in Oregon is estimated using an
algorithm that assumes 3 for pi -- but everyone knows that, it's just an
estimate anyway, and they're all singing off the same sheet of music. So
it all comes out right in the end, more or less, you don't have
disagreements about what the lumber company should pay the state, and no
one has to grab a calculator to figure out the board feet in a five foot
diameter, forty foot long log.

I suspect many other reports about "dumb legislators dictating the value
of pi" come from similar -- and similarly sensible -- laws.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
From: Jerry Avins on
Tim Wescott wrote:
> On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 21:46:32 -0500, Jerry Avins wrote:
>
>> Randy Yates wrote:
>>> Where is that?
>> In the old testament, a the descriptions of a vessel in the Temple.
>>
>> look look look ...
>>
>> 1 Kings 4:23. "And he made a molten sea, ten cubits from the one brim to
>> the other: it was round all about, and its height was five cubits: and a
>> line of thirty cubits did compass it round about."
>>
>> Jerry
>
> Clearly written by a fuzzy studies major.

Is the Bible the word of God, or is it not?

Jerry
From: Tim Wescott on
On Thu, 11 Feb 2010 00:11:35 -0500, Jerry Avins wrote:

> Tim Wescott wrote:

>>> In the old testament, a the descriptions of a vessel in the Temple.
>>>
>>> look look look ...
>>>
>>> 1 Kings 4:23. "And he made a molten sea, ten cubits from the one brim
>>> to the other: it was round all about, and its height was five cubits:
>>> and a line of thirty cubits did compass it round about."
>>>
>>> Jerry
>>
>> Clearly written by a fuzzy studies major.
>
> Is the Bible the word of God, or is it not?

Uh oh. I'm in trouble now.

I certainly don't believe that it is the One True Word, nor even that it
was dictated by God to the scribes that first wrote it down. Even if it
was so dictated, those scribes would still have only written down what
they understood, and so have gotten things wrong. Regardless of how much
divine inspiration was involved, the Bible is the product of human minds
and centuries of temple politics and is unavoidably distanced from what
God -- should he exist -- really meant.

Given an old rock with a fossil in it, and the Bible, I will take the
rock as a truer message from God, and make decisions about the age of the
universe and my own origins accordingly. Ditto with biblical passages
about the ratio of circumference and diameter vs. the messages that come
from doing mathematical proofs.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
From: Tim Wescott on
On Wed, 10 Feb 2010 15:29:15 -0800, robert bristow-johnson wrote:

> On Feb 10, 8:39 am, Jerry Avins <j...(a)ieee.org> wrote:
>>
>> According to one passage in the Bible, pi is three. Various legislators
>> at various times introduced ordinances to set the value of pi at some
>> convenient rational fraction. No ordinance can affect the value of a
>> physical constant.
>
> Jerry, pi is a mathematical constant. i wouldn't call it a physical
> constant, in the sense of the fine-structure constant or the proton-
> electron mass ratio or any of the other 26 or so dimensionless
> fundamental physical constants.

Knowing that real-world circular objects still approximate the ideal
mathematical relationship is still physics, however.

--
www.wescottdesign.com
From: Eric Jacobsen on
On 2/10/2010 10:11 PM, Jerry Avins wrote:
> Tim Wescott wrote:

>>> In the old testament, a the descriptions of a vessel in the Temple.
>>>
>>> look look look ...
>>>
>>> 1 Kings 4:23. "And he made a molten sea, ten cubits from the one brim to
>>> the other: it was round all about, and its height was five cubits: and a
>>> line of thirty cubits did compass it round about."
>>>
>>> Jerry
>>
>> Clearly written by a fuzzy studies major.
>
> Is the Bible the word of God, or is it not?
>
> Jerry

http://www.realoldtestament.com/HomePage.html

Also, click on "Covenant"

--