From: bos1234 on
In class we analysed a signal and filtered the noise out. However the noise
was in a different bandwidth to the original signal hence it was easy to
filter.

If noise and the signal were to overlap in freq. spectrum, are there any
techniques to filter out the noise??
From: John on
On Jun 1, 7:34 pm, "bos1234" <suren130(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com> wrote:
> In class we analysed a signal and filtered the noise out. However the noise
> was in a different bandwidth to the original signal hence it was easy to
> filter.
>
> If noise and the signal were to overlap in freq. spectrum, are there any
> techniques to filter out the noise??

No, but there are techniques to reduce the noise provided that you
have a sample of it that does not include signal, like you might have
in speech. Search for "spectral subtraction".

John
From: Tim Wescott on
On 06/01/2010 04:34 PM, bos1234 wrote:
> In class we analysed a signal and filtered the noise out. However the noise
> was in a different bandwidth to the original signal hence it was easy to
> filter.
>
> If noise and the signal were to overlap in freq. spectrum, are there any
> techniques to filter out the noise??

No. The word "filter" is used as a close analogy to a filter that you
might use to filter liquids in the kitchen, or in a chemistry class.
When you use a coffee filter filter, for example, you use a filter that
has pores that are smaller than the coffee grounds. This lets the water
and anything dissolved in it (like than nice coffee -- mmm!) through,
but it blocks the coffee grounds because they won't fit.

A filter in signal processing terms is much the same, except instead of
filtering by size, you're filtering by position in the spectrum.

Unless there is some characteristic of the signal that distinguishes it
from the noise, you can't filter it out.

--
Tim Wescott
www.wescottdesign.com
From: Fred Marshall on
Tim Wescott wrote:
> On 06/01/2010 04:34 PM, bos1234 wrote:
>> In class we analysed a signal and filtered the noise out. However the
>> noise
>> was in a different bandwidth to the original signal hence it was easy to
>> filter.
>>
>> If noise and the signal were to overlap in freq. spectrum, are there any
>> techniques to filter out the noise??
>
> No. The word "filter" is used as a close analogy to a filter that you
> might use to filter liquids in the kitchen, or in a chemistry class.
> When you use a coffee filter filter, for example, you use a filter that
> has pores that are smaller than the coffee grounds. This lets the water
> and anything dissolved in it (like than nice coffee -- mmm!) through,
> but it blocks the coffee grounds because they won't fit.
>
> A filter in signal processing terms is much the same, except instead of
> filtering by size, you're filtering by position in the spectrum.
>
> Unless there is some characteristic of the signal that distinguishes it
> from the noise, you can't filter it out.

Well .... what about a line canceller? It uses a reference signal,
which is suitably scaled and delayed, to be subtracted from a composite.
To the extent that the reference is stable and the desired signal isn't,
then only the reference will be subtracted. Any consituent of the
composite that departs from the "reference model" will get through.
And, to your point, any constituent of the composite that is stable and
matches the reference, will be attentuated.

[many words about dyamics, etc......]

We say "spectrum" which is defined over all time or over some temporal
epoch. But the actual signal may not even come close to having the
stability implied by our model. I think sometimes we forget that for
convenience.

Fred

From: maury on
On Jun 1, 6:34 pm, "bos1234" <suren130(a)n_o_s_p_a_m.gmail.com> wrote:
> In class we analysed a signal and filtered the noise out. However the noise
> was in a different bandwidth to the original signal hence it was easy to
> filter.
>
> If noise and the signal were to overlap in freq. spectrum, are there any
> techniques to filter out the noise??

Yes there are. Go to
http://www.danvillesignal.com/comp.dsp-conference/comp.dsp-conference-presentations.html
and look at the paper on noise reduction techniques. For example,
let's say the noise is 6 dB below the signal, then you can use
coefficient shirkage: take FFT, do coefficient shirkage, take IFFT.
Voila, no noise.