From: bernd on

From: PieterLinden via AccessMonster.com on
Charno wrote:
>I'm not quite sure what you mean? sorry i'm new to access and trying to learn
>as much as i can
>
>> i would suggest to normalize your tables. With this data model you will
>> always run into troubles.

John's right... I had to deal with databases that were structured in the way
you're proposing. In a word, *very* bad idea. Summarizing the data or
finding records is a complete nightmare. Don't take my word for it, though.
Make a nice table with maybe 50 records. Then do like 5 union queries on it.
Then sort/filter that. It takes FOREVER because you can't use any of the
indexing (the UNION statement causes them all to be ignored), so your queries
will be painfully slow. And forget about expanding your database. The only
reason I say anything at all is that I had to work with designs like this for
10 hours a day for like 3 months. It was absurd. Took forever to do
anything. Do yourself a favor and design right from the beginning (build
with the end in mind) and your job will be MUCH easier and your design more
flexible.

Post your next design. (Well, feel free to play with a messed up design for
a little while just to get that bad idea out of your system... then come back
and ask more questions).