From: Crash! on

in netscape.public.mozilla.browser, On 21 Apr 2010, Ralph Fox
said:
> On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 (Doug Bashford) wrote:

> > So what the netiquette? Can I presume that people
> > disatisfied had damned well better watch their
> > honest feelings, it's sorta a luvy-dovey love fest?
> > [Respectful dissent is permited, we are so lucky.]
>
> I have seen plenty of criticism of the Firefox, Thunderbird, etc., apps.
> In this regard it is quite different to my recollection of the borland.* groups.
>

> > I can think of no other reason they'd do this...control.
>
> One other reason is so that newsgroups can be reorganized
> as needed. This is hard to make happen when groups are
> propagated across every other server on the planet.
>
> Let me give an example completely separate from mozilla.
>
> Some years ago NZ Usenet users strongly supported renaming
> NG "nz.reg.christchurch.general" to "nz.reg.canterbury.general".
> The two reasons I recall were that (a) the name
> nz.reg.christchurch.general attracted "Christian" spam,
> and (b) the NG was for the whole region (Canterbury)
> and not just the city (Christchurch).
>
> The rename was duly done. However, there are still some
> news servers (outside NZ) using the old newsgroup name
> "nz.reg.christchurch.general". Posts to
> "nz.reg.christchurch.general" on these servers will not be
> seen by people using the new name "nz.reg.canterbury.general".

That's pretty much my complaint here, just swap out the
details. Except you are ABANDONING Usenet, forcing people
like me to go Establishment...which includes FORCING ME
to give up my IP (automagically) in order to participate,
....plus related and unrelated.

> > I'll give it a looksee. If they demand an ID,
>
> No ID required.

Thanks for the info Ralph.
Well, I still have the same problem;
Firefox: Unknown sites hog CPU or Modem

No, I still haven't tried to make that change
to what ever the hell they are.

Counter example? About 10 years ago my small local
ISP subscribed to a Big Boy newsfeed, back in
the days when "full Internet service" included
Usenet. (loooong story) I discovered that
Big Boy NewsFeed had a feedback Newsgroup, or so it
appeared to me. Well I had a long and bad (privacy)
problem and went in rather beligerent, as well as
uninformed. I was a little rude but not unreasonable.
Turned out that I, as an ISP (indirect) subscriber,
I was NOT welcomed, I was banned (they owned my feed)
and then I was scolded by my ISP like I was a little boy.

My larger problem is that I have a problem with
the public domain going private. I'm that weirdo
who highly values my *public property rights* contrary
to our trained-in Establishment American values
which has never even heard of *public property rights*.
(I think, not an accident.)

I think that's worth contemplating, big picture.
Values are about real worth.
They tell us now, that even contemplating is
wimpy ...or some such.

- "Fascism should more properly be called
- corporatism, since it is the merger
- of state and corporate power."
-- - Benito Mussolini, father of fascism.

Wisdom from 1938:

"The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people
tolerate the growth of private power to a point where
it becomes stronger than the democratic state itself.
> That in it's essence is fascism: ownership of the
government by an individual, by a group or any
controlling private powers."
-- Franklin Delano Roosevelt, message to congress,
proposing the "Standard Oil" Monopoly Investigation, 1938

* The insane twist the facts to fit their world view.
* The rational change their world view to fit the facts.

From: Nobody on
On Tue, 01 Jun 2010 13:04:47 GMT, Crashing(a)work.edu (Crash!) wrote:

>in netscape.public.mozilla.browser, On 21 Apr 2010, Ralph Fox
>said:
>> On Thu, 15 Apr 2010 (Doug Bashford) wrote:
>

>> > So what the netiquette? Can I presume that people
>> > disatisfied had damned well better watch their
>> > honest feelings, it's sorta a luvy-dovey love fest?
>> > [Respectful dissent is permited, we are so lucky.]
>>
>> I have seen plenty of criticism of the Firefox, Thunderbird, etc., apps.
>> In this regard it is quite different to my recollection of the borland.* groups.
>>

>> > I can think of no other reason they'd do this...control.
>>
>> One other reason is so that newsgroups can be reorganized
>> as needed. This is hard to make happen when groups are
>> propagated across every other server on the planet.
>>
>> Let me give an example completely separate from mozilla.
>>
>> Some years ago NZ Usenet users strongly supported renaming
>> NG "nz.reg.christchurch.general" to "nz.reg.canterbury.general".
>> The two reasons I recall were that (a) the name
>> nz.reg.christchurch.general attracted "Christian" spam,
>> and (b) the NG was for the whole region (Canterbury)
>> and not just the city (Christchurch).

NZ <general> news groups have died anyway.

I used to watch <Hamilton> but the last activity reported by my ISP
(as of two minutes ago at 0040 UTC 4 June 2010) is dated 6 June 2008.

>> The rename was duly done. However, there are still some
>> news servers (outside NZ) using the old newsgroup name
>> "nz.reg.christchurch.general". Posts to
>> "nz.reg.christchurch.general" on these servers will not be
>> seen by people using the new name "nz.reg.canterbury.general".
>

>That's pretty much my complaint here, just swap out the
>details. Except you are ABANDONING Usenet, forcing people
>like me to go Establishment...which includes FORCING ME
>to give up my IP (automagically) in order to participate,
>...plus related and unrelated.
>
>> > I'll give it a looksee. If they demand an ID,
>>
>> No ID required.
>
>Thanks for the info Ralph.
>Well, I still have the same problem;
> Firefox: Unknown sites hog CPU or Modem
>
>No, I still haven't tried to make that change
>to what ever the hell they are.
>
>Counter example? About 10 years ago my small local
>ISP subscribed to a Big Boy newsfeed, back in
>the days when "full Internet service" included
>Usenet. (loooong story) I discovered that
>Big Boy NewsFeed had a feedback Newsgroup, or so it
>appeared to me. Well I had a long and bad (privacy)
>problem and went in rather beligerent, as well as
>uninformed. I was a little rude but not unreasonable.
>Turned out that I, as an ISP (indirect) subscriber,
>I was NOT welcomed, I was banned (they owned my feed)
>and then I was scolded by my ISP like I was a little boy.
>
>My larger problem is that I have a problem with
>the public domain going private. I'm that weirdo
>who highly values my *public property rights* contrary
>to our trained-in Establishment American values
>which has never even heard of *public property rights*.
>(I think, not an accident.)
>
>I think that's worth contemplating, big picture.
>Values are about real worth.
>They tell us now, that even contemplating is
>wimpy ...or some such.
>

> - "Fascism should more properly be called
> - corporatism, since it is the merger
> - of state and corporate power."
> -- - Benito Mussolini, father of fascism.
>
>Wisdom from 1938:
>
> "The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people
> tolerate the growth of private power to a point where
> it becomes stronger than the democratic state itself.
>> That in it's essence is fascism: ownership of the
> government by an individual, by a group or any
> controlling private powers."
> -- Franklin Delano Roosevelt, message to congress,
> proposing the "Standard Oil" Monopoly Investigation, 1938
>
>* The insane twist the facts to fit their world view.
>* The rational change their world view to fit the facts.

Pages: 1
Prev: password problem
Next: Hello everyone