From: Dan C on
I am attempting to migrate my Firefox usage from one XP
Pro user to another on the same computer. I have copied
(there are no hidden files, all are exposed) my user
profile from the original user to user no 2. Prior to
doing that opening Firefox under either worked. Since
copying profile to user 2, Firefox under user 2 does not
open but displays the error message: "Firefox is already
running, but is not responding. To open a new window you
must first close the existing FF process, or restart your
computer."

But FF is not already running. Restarting does not solve
the problem.

How is this solved?

Regards,

Dan
From: Miller on
*Dan C* wrote on 07.04.07 17:49:
> I am attempting to migrate my Firefox usage from one XP
> Pro user to another on the same computer. I have copied
> (there are no hidden files, all are exposed) my user
> profile from the original user to user no 2. Prior to
> doing that opening Firefox under either worked. Since
> copying profile to user 2, Firefox under user 2 does not
> open but displays the error message: "Firefox is already
> running, but is not responding. To open a new window you
> must first close the existing FF process, or restart your
> computer."
>
> But FF is not already running. Restarting does not solve
> the problem.

I'm not quite sure, but you could check if there's a file called
"parent.lock" in the FF-profile while FF is not running.
If so, you can safely delete it and try to start FF.

HTH, Miller
From: Dan C on
Miller wrote:
> *Dan C* wrote on 07.04.07 17:49:
>> I am attempting to migrate my Firefox usage from one XP
>> Pro user to another on the same computer. I have copied
>> (there are no hidden files, all are exposed) my user
>> profile from the original user to user no 2. Prior to
>> doing that opening Firefox under either worked. Since
>> copying profile to user 2, Firefox under user 2 does not
>> open but displays the error message: "Firefox is already
>> running, but is not responding. To open a new window you
>> must first close the existing FF process, or restart your
>> computer."
>>
>> But FF is not already running. Restarting does not solve
>> the problem.
>
> I'm not quite sure, but you could check if there's a file called
> "parent.lock" in the FF-profile while FF is not running.
> If so, you can safely delete it and try to start FF.
>
> HTH, Miller
Miller,

Thanks for reply. Deleting said file did not make a
difference.

Is this a FF problem or a Windows problem?

Dan
From: Miller on
*Dan C* wrote on 08.04.07 22:47:
> Miller wrote:
>> *Dan C* wrote on 07.04.07 17:49:
>>> I am attempting to migrate my Firefox usage from one XP
>>> Pro user to another on the same computer. I have copied
>>> (there are no hidden files, all are exposed) my user
>>> profile from the original user to user no 2. Prior to
>>> doing that opening Firefox under either worked. Since
>>> copying profile to user 2, Firefox under user 2 does not
>>> open but displays the error message: "Firefox is already
>>> running, but is not responding. To open a new window you
>>> must first close the existing FF process, or restart your
>>> computer."
>>>
>>> But FF is not already running. Restarting does not solve
>>> the problem.
>>
>> I'm not quite sure, but you could check if there's a file called
>> "parent.lock" in the FF-profile while FF is not running.
>> If so, you can safely delete it and try to start FF.
>>
>> HTH, Miller
> Miller,
>
> Thanks for reply. Deleting said file did not make a
> difference.
>
> Is this a FF problem or a Windows problem?

Hmmm.... are you *really* sure, that FF is not running? Checked it
with the Windows-Taskmanager? Also in the other, not running
Windows-profile?
If so, it seems to me like you've got a problem with your user-accounts
under Windows.

cu, Miller
From: Dan C on
Miller wrote:
> *Dan C* wrote on 08.04.07 22:47:
>> Miller wrote:

>>> I'm not quite sure, but you could check if there's a file called
>>> "parent.lock" in the FF-profile while FF is not running.
>>> If so, you can safely delete it and try to start FF.
>>>
>>> HTH, Miller
>> Miller,
>>
>> Thanks for reply. Deleting said file did not make a
>> difference.
>>
>> Is this a FF problem or a Windows problem?
>
> Hmmm.... are you *really* sure, that FF is not running? Checked it
> with the Windows-Taskmanager? Also in the other, not running
> Windows-profile?
> If so, it seems to me like you've got a problem with your user-accounts
> under Windows.
>
> cu, Miller
I did check with Taskmanager, and it is definitely not
running. On boot up, going to the user in question, I get
error message, not so on the primary user. And it does
not show up in TM then either.

To clarify, FF under secondary profile would start up
"before" I copied the user profile.

Dan
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2