From: Spamblk on
ffox wrote in news:ibde56degstmtot0gjpg6ecrvl4o1fkh1l(a)4ax.com:

> http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/08/02/browser_market_share_july/
> Mozilla's Firefox has lost market share against Google's young
> pretender Chrome browser for the third month in a row.
>
> According to NetMarketShare's latest stats, Firefox's share of the
> global browser market slipped under 23 per cent in July.

However, according to the same article,--

: Chrome saw a small dip in global usage last month, and currently
: stands at 7.16 per cent of browser usage globally.

And a bit further down:

: In effect, the current state of play in the browser wars remains
: pretty much unchanged, then. Down the line it's fair to surmise
: that Chrome will make some gains, perhaps at the expense of Firefox.

Or, put another way FF is still beating "Phone home regularly to Mamma "
Chrome 3 to 1. I welcome Chrome, as a competitor. Mozilla is being
required to raise its game in recent versions, with 3.6.6 (now 3.6.8)
offering more JavaScript speed and stability.
From: Thip on
"Spamblk" <ZapSpam(a)SpamMeNot.invalid> wrote in message
> Or, put another way FF is still beating "Phone home regularly to Mamma "
> Chrome 3 to 1. I welcome Chrome, as a competitor. Mozilla is being
> required to raise its game in recent versions, with 3.6.6 (now 3.6.8)
> offering more JavaScript speed and stability.

I have a computer at work that's so old it practically creaks. It's running
W2K and Office 97, if that tells you anything. IE often freezes/crashes,
and when I reload I have to log into everything again. The other day I
d/loaded FF portable and it *flew*. I was amazed. I discovered I can use
it as my default browser (which uses our State page as the home page), but I
don't quite have the nerve. Big Brother does peek occasionally, but boy, is
it ever tempting....

From: Spamblk on
"Thip" <me(a)privacy.net> wrote in news:8brna9F9s0U1(a)mid.individual.net:

> The other day I
> d/loaded FF portable and it *flew*.

As others in this NG have noted, the portable version is a good choice eg
some of optimizations for USB drives also give a speed boost.