From: Wilco Dijkstra on
Luminary Micro Announces 32-bit Microcontrollers for $1.00 - First to Launch
Products Based on the ARM Cortex-M3 Processor

http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/conws/3750146.html

More details and specs:

http://www.luminarymicro.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=37&Itemid=73

The long awaited ARMv7M architecture reference including full Thumb-2
details:

http://www.luminarymicro.com/images/downloads/ARMv7_Ref.pdf

Wilco

From: Richard on
"Wilco Dijkstra" <Wilco_dot_Dijkstra(a)ntlworld.com> wrote in message
> Luminary Micro Announces 32-bit Microcontrollers for $1.00 - First to
> Launch Products Based on the ARM Cortex-M3 Processor
>
> http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/conws/3750146.html
>
> More details and specs:
>
> http://www.luminarymicro.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=37&Itemid=73
>
> The long awaited ARMv7M architecture reference including full Thumb-2
> details:
>
> http://www.luminarymicro.com/images/downloads/ARMv7_Ref.pdf
>
> Wilco

While we are on the subject of announcements ;-)

FreeRTOS.org V4.0.0 is now available with support included for the above
mentioned Cortex-M3.

Regards,
Richard.

http://www.FreeRTOS.org
*Now for ARM CORTEX M3!*

From: Jim Granville on
Wilco Dijkstra wrote:

> Luminary Micro Announces 32-bit Microcontrollers for $1.00 - First to Launch
> Products Based on the ARM Cortex-M3 Processor

You mean $1.45/500+, for the most limited device ?

> http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/conws/3750146.html
>
> More details and specs:
>
> http://www.luminarymicro.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=37&Itemid=73
>
> The long awaited ARMv7M architecture reference including full Thumb-2
> details:

Yes, why HAS this release taken so long ?

> http://www.luminarymicro.com/images/downloads/ARMv7_Ref.pdf

This is the one tagged "first beta release" ?
Does that mean the Cortex core is still in a state of flux ?

It is also a little hard to fathom just how much of this ARM document
applies to the Luminary Cortex3 - seems the word Cortex only appears
ONCE, and then to refer to a separate "Cortex-M3 Technical Reference
Manual" ?!

See also my earlier post on this:

All the hoopla, and we finally get a rather 'ordinary' device, with some
strange-looking design choices.

## Remember: This IS a single sourced core, that needs new tool chains!

Will have to compete with other single-sourced cores, like Infineon
XC166, STm ST10, Maxim MAXQ, Cyan technologies eCOG1X, Freescale's new
Coldfire's, Rensas's offerings......[ even the Philips XA51 ! ]

Development kits - most expensive seen this decade...?

Just 20MHz - yawn .... Slowest new device release !Stellar ?

No ADC - First 32 bit uC without an ADC ?

SO28 - Prize for largest PCB / thickest package / smallest IO count ?
- much more PCB area than a TQFP48, but more hobby-friendly...

Models - Seems you can have 2 Comparators, OR 2 PWM, but not both ?
4 part numbers, where others would only bother with 1

Data ? - truckloads of TBF in the columns ...

~~~~~ Quick scan of the data sheet ~~~~~~ :
** Strange method to 'kludge around' BIT manipulation.
Yes, you can set a single port bit, but need a lot of opcode, and
memory space, to do so. - ie it is not a native opcode, but
actually a memory-decode patch.

** UART only mentions 430K Baud, also not stellar...

** consumes 4/5 pins for Debug. Drops to just 15 IOs, the same
as a 20 pin 8 bit uC ....
Most of the other small uC vendors have developed lower pin-cost
debug interfaces.

** SFR space looks 'fat' - 32 bit's wide, and large offsets,
suggests INIT of SFR values will consume CODE space.
Not such an issue on larger devices, but this has only 8K Flash.

Will surely struggle up against the widely multi-sourced ARM7 cores,
like the LPC210x/AT91SAM's/etc which seem to have it outflanked in all
system performance areas.

Seems away from the market sweet-spot, and looks like it was
dumbed-down desperately to meet the '$1 in volume' hype point ?

Philips and Atmel released their tiny models, later in the roll-out.

-jg

From: Victor on
"Wilco Dijkstra" wrote...
> Luminary Micro Announces 32-bit Microcontrollers for $1.00 - First to Launch
> Products Based on the ARM Cortex-M3 Processor
>
> http://www.chron.com/disp/story.mpl/conws/3750146.html

Do NOT trust Luminary...

Imagine a bunch of liars that seem to think "caveat emptor" is standard practice. Think
of them as old school liars - even the worst used-car salesman would say, "Wow, these
are slimy people".

I wish I knew the right words to explain how dishonest Luminary is.

From: jim.reinhart on
Please judge for yourself what weight, if any, to place on the above
anonymous comment. You can examine the strength of our company's
partnerships and decide whether relationships spanning many, many years
are based on anything but ethics and integrity.

Sincerely,
Jim Reinhart, PE
CEO and Co-founder
Luminary Micro