From: --CELKO-- on
>> I didn't specify the order because I might wish different orders: model's year ascending or descending, for example, or name.<<

SELECT X.*
FROM (SELECT auto_make, auto_model,
           ROW_NUMBER()
             OVER (PARTITION BY auto_make
                       ORDER BY model_year DESC)
AS model_year__ordering
 FROM Motorpool) AS X
WHERE X.model_year_ordering <= @n;

>> Thanks, it works exactly the way I need. I didn't know "OVER PARTITION BY". <<

It is called a window clause and it can be very handy. Look it up.
From: --CELKO-- on
Because he said "car brand", which the industry calls "make"; there
are other terms for various characteristics of a model, such as
"glasshouse", etc that would be used. Hey, be glad I did not ask
about the VIN :)