From: Skylamar Jones on
Is there any program that allows you to view your fonts by type of font
(i.e., serif and sans serif)? I�m trying to deactivate fonts that are
very similar but I currently have about 400 and it's hard to compare
them when i only see them by name.
From: isw on
In article <skylamar-2222D2.19095924072010(a)free.teranews.com>,
Skylamar Jones <skylamar(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> Is there any program that allows you to view your fonts by type of font
> (i.e., serif and sans serif)? I�m trying to deactivate fonts that are
> very similar but I currently have about 400 and it's hard to compare
> them when i only see them by name.

Where fonts are concerned, "very similar" is truly in the eye of the
beholder. Nobody but you can decide when two fonts seem to be too
similar *to you*.

But why deactivate them? Why not just group your choices into a set of
"Fonts I Like" and keep the others around in case your taste (or level
of discrimination) changes? Font Book makes it easy.

Isaac
From: None of your business on
In article <skylamar-2222D2.19095924072010(a)free.teranews.com>,
Skylamar Jones <skylamar(a)yahoo.com> wrote:

> Is there any program that allows you to view your fonts by type of font
> (i.e., serif and sans serif)? I�m trying to deactivate fonts that are
> very similar but I currently have about 400 and it's hard to compare
> them when i only see them by name.

There are several. They include Suitcase and Font Explorer Pro and
FontCase. However, if you only have 400 fonts then you don't need a
professional-level font manager, as they cost money. You merely need to
launch Foot Book, which ships with the OS, and turn on the view in font
style feature, and identify fonts visually. Although with only 400
fonts, why are you bothering? After all, the OS ships with quite a few
fonts (see
<http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_typefaces_included_with_Mac_OS_X>,
and note that the total number of fonts listed as shipping keeps
changing) some of which are required to be on (see
<http://www.jklstudios.com/misc/osxfonts.html>) and some applications
and application suites such as Microsoft Office or Adobe CS will install
several dozen more. (MS Office installs 70 fonts, IIRC). If you have
only 400 fonts installed the odds are that you are using mostly
Apple-supplied fonts and that turning off the wrong font could have very
negative results. You might not want to do that.
From: Erik Richard Sørensen on

Skylamar Jones wrote:
> Is there any program that allows you to view your fonts by type of font
> (i.e., serif and sans serif)? I¹m trying to deactivate fonts that are
> very similar but I currently have about 400 and it's hard to compare
> them when i only see them by name.

For this and for managing fonts I use Linotype Fontexplorer - a real
great app for such... - It can show groups, families, single fonts - all
in WYSIWYG - 'what you see is what you get'. The fontface is both the
real view, but sizes are also compared, so differences here are also
shwon correctly.

FontExplorer X 1.2.3 (freeware version)
Professional font management utility.

FontExplorer X Pro 2.5.1 (commercial version)
Professional font management utility.

cheers, Erik Richard

Erik Richard Sørensen, Member of ADC, <mac-manNOSP(a)Mstofanet.dk>
NisusWriter - The Future In Multilingual Text Processing - www.nisus.com
OpenOffice.org - The Modern Productivity Solution - www.openoffice.org