From: Steve Lionel on
On 4/2/2010 2:25 PM, Richard Maine wrote:
> Though I'm more used to seeing that kind of extension on output than
> input. I might guess that it is intended to be something like
> list-directed input, but that is just a guess. The only safe statement
> is that it is nonstandard, as you said.

I suppose I should add that, in the DEC-heritage compilers, a second
extension called "short field termination" may come into play. If the
end of the input record (character string in this case) is seen before
"w" characters are processed, the input field is shortened as if "w" was
the number of characters seen. You could use this to approximate
list-directed input in such cases.

--
Steve Lionel
Developer Products Division

For email address, replace "invalid" with "com"

http://software.intel.com/en-us/forums/
Intel Software Development Products Support
http://software.intel.com/sites/support/
My Fortran blog
http://www.intel.com/software/drfortran