From: M on
I have a file with about 180k of data in

I want to format the columns (about 20 columns) with background colour
and borders, all the way to the bottom, but it changes the file size
from 180k to 180M - is this normal?

Is there a way I can have the formatting without the file-bloat?

Thanks

From: Gord Dibben on
Not normal.

Excel 2007

Open a new workbook and save........size 7.65kb

Format the 20 columns as you say.

Save workbook.............size 7.83 5kb

You have something else going on.

Select the columns and hit spacebar then CTRL + Enter.

Save..............size 70Mb

Gord Dibben MS Excel MVP

From: Niek Otten on
Format the whole (group of) columns in one go (select them all and then
format).
If you format one cell and then copy that format to the other cells, the
file explodes.

--
Kind regards,

Niek Otten