From: Susan Bradley on
As an SBSer since I have SQL on my server I feel like SQL is family so
if you'll indulge me in a fishing expedition on forums versus newsgroups.

I need to pick your brain a bit if you don't mind? Can I ask some
fishing expedition questions because I want to see if my thoughts are on
track with others. Just want to see if my thoughts are out in left
field or what. I know why I like what I like but I want to know from
someone else what they like and why.

Do you like forums over newsgroups and if so why?

Do you like newsgroups over forums and if so why?

How did you first find the newsgroups in the first place?

How do you get here now? Web browser or nntp reader?

Why do you choose web browser versus nntp reader?

What makes you keep coming back? Habit?

If you prefer forums what would make you change to another community
platform?

If you prefer newsgroups what would make you change to another community
platform?

Do you prefer another community platform over forums AND newsgroups? If
so, what platform/venue is it? (and if you say twitter I'll bonk ya on
the head ;-)

Do you know about the NNTP bridge to make a transition to allow nntp
like access to a web forum?

The NNTP Bridge is an application created and maintained by the
Microsoft Forum team. This application emulates an NNTP server to the
extent of allowing NNTP newsreader clients to read data from and write
data to Microsoft forums. It is a custom solution built on top of the
standard NNTP protocol and expects communication from an NNTP newsreader
client; therefore it does not necessarily support all NNTP command
input. The NNTP Bridge acts as a medium of data transportation between
the newsreader client and Microsoft forums. As a result, the user�s
experience may change depending on the newsreader client.

The NNTP Bridge officially targets the following three newsreader clients:

� Windows Mail

� Windows Live Mail

� Outlook Express

While other clients were also being tested during the development
process (including Forte Agent and Thunderbird), bugs not pertaining to
the three targeted clients are not guaranteed to be fixed at this time.

The installation of the application and the limited UI of the
application itself (basically a start button, a stop button, and WLID
sign in page) are only available in English. However, when the Bridge
is running, you are free to connect to forums of any language and
read/post in any language you select.

The NNTP Bridge Client v1.0 Release is available via the Microsoft
Connect site. Please refer to the following steps to download and
install it and then configure the newsreader client.

NOTE: The NNTP Bridge team is accepting your feedback directly on the
Connect portal. Providing your thoughts and comments there will route
your requests directly to the Dev team.

1. Download the utility by following the instructions at
http://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums (NNTP Bridge Home Page on
Connect).

2. Install the NNTP bridge by following the steps at
http://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums/content/content.aspx?ContentID=13820.

3. Configure your newsreader client:

3.1). On successful starting of the NNTP Bridge application, start your
nntp news reader client, ie., Windows Mail.

3.2). Create a newsgroup account, and type 127.0.0.1 as the NNTP server
and 119 as the port. With that information it should be able to connect
to your local NNTP Bridge and successfully list all the forums.

3.3). Select the partner forum(s) you are interested in.

Besides, some more resources are for your reference:

NNTP Bridge Troubleshooting Guide

http://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums/content/content.aspx?ContentID=15478

NNTP Bridge Frequently Asked Questions

http://connect.microsoft.com/MicrosoftForums/content/content.aspx?ContentID=13816