From: Shenan Stanley on
Susan Bradley wrote:
> As an SBSer since I have SQL on my server I feel like SQL is family
> so if you'll indulge me in a fishing expedition on forums versus
> newsgroups.
> I need to pick your brain a bit if you don't mind? Can I ask some
> fishing expedition questions because I want to see if my thoughts
> are on track with others. Just want to see if my thoughts are out
> in left field or what. I know why I like what I like but I want to
> know from someone else what they like and why.
>

> Do you like forums over newsgroups and if so why?

No.

> Do you like newsgroups over forums and if so why?

Yes. Comfortable, used to it.

> How did you first find the newsgroups in the first place?

Been around long enough - it's just the logical move from bulletin board
systems (BBSes) from my Commodore days.

> How do you get here now? Web browser or nntp reader?

Outlook Express.

> Why do you choose web browser versus nntp reader?

I did not.

> What makes you keep coming back? Habit?

Enjoy answering questions. Keeps me up to date as well.

> If you prefer forums what would make you change to another community
> platform?

I don't prefer forums.

> If you prefer newsgroups what would make you change to another
> community platform?

As the usage of newsgroups drops off, in order to have the same level of
actual interaction and stay current as I like to do, I will have to change
to the web forums (since that is the current trend.)

> Do you prefer another community platform over forums AND
> newsgroups? If so, what platform/venue is it? (and if you say
> twitter I'll bonk ya on the head ;-)

No.

> Do you know about the NNTP bridge to make a transition to allow nntp
> like access to a web forum?

Yes.

<snipped the explanation of the NNTP Bridge>

--
Shenan Stanley
MS-MVP

From: PA Bear [MS MVP] on
You already know how I feel about all this so I won't clutter the ether with
a reply (other than this one).

Susan Bradley wrote:
> As an SBSer since I have SQL on my server I feel like SQL is family so
> if you'll indulge me in a fishing expedition on forums versus newsgroups.
>
> I need to pick your brain a bit if you don't mind? Can I ask some
> fishing expedition questions because I want to see if my thoughts are on
> track with others. Just want to see if my thoughts are out in left
> field or what. I know why I like what I like but I want to know from
> someone else what they like and why.
<SNIP>