From: David Robinow on
On Mon, Jan 11, 2010 at 10:26 PM, Ben Finney <ben+python(a)benfinney.id.au> wrote:
> "Alf P. Steinbach" <alfps(a)start.no> writes:
>
>> And considering this, and the fact that Google's archive is now the
>> main Usenet archive, message id's are not that useful, really.
>
> You've demonstrated only that Google is an unreliable Usenet archive.
>
> One doesn't even need to use Usenet, in this case, since
> comp.lang.python is a forum distributed both as a Usenet forum and a
> mailing-list forum.
>
> --
>  \       “Two possibilities exist: Either we are alone in the Universe |
>  `\   or we are not. Both are equally terrifying.” —Arthur C. Clarke, |
> _o__)                                                             1999 |
> Ben Finney

The archive at http://mail.python.org/pipermail/python-list/ doesn't
show the message id either.
However, the monthly gzip'ed text file does have them.

FWIW, for you google-haters, I read python-list using gmail and I
don't see any message id's.
Great spam detection though.
From: Alf P. Steinbach on
* Steve Holden:
> Alf P. Steinbach wrote:
>> * W. eWatson:

>>> Sort of like outer space I guess. No real direction. How would I find
>>> the message ID?
>> In Thunderbird (the newsreader that you're using) there's a little '+'
>> to the left of the message subject line.
>>
>> That shows the headers.
>>
> It shows a very limited subset of the headers ...

Really? My Thunderbird shows all headers. Perhaps you need to configure something.

Or do as I wrote next and you snipped, use [View -> Message Source].

Cheers & hth. (even if rather off-topic by now, not even direct response!),

- Alf
From: Martin P. Hellwig on
W. eWatson wrote:
<cut>

> See my post about the datetime controversy about 3-4 posts up from yours.

If timezones might be a problem area, than it might be worth while to
see it in the context of the actual application. For local, one user
only, use, the problem will be practically non-existent. Multiple users
across multiple machines will make it more difficult since you need a
verified source for each users timezone. But then again what about
travellers, wrongly set-up machines (right time wrong zone, wrong time
right zone and wrong zone with wrong time?) or people who just prefer to
do have their time set to UTC regardless of their location and season
(when I travelled alot, I just set my wristwatch, phone and laptop to UTC).

--
MPH
http://blog.dcuktec.com
From: W. eWatson on
Ben Finney wrote:
> "Alf P. Steinbach" <alfps(a)start.no> writes:
>
>> And considering this, and the fact that Google's archive is now the
>> main Usenet archive, message id's are not that useful, really.
>
> You've demonstrated only that Google is an unreliable Usenet archive.
>
> One doesn't even need to use Usenet, in this case, since
> comp.lang.python is a forum distributed both as a Usenet forum and a
> mailing-list forum.

Good Clarke quote. (Not present here.)