From: RG on
I have noticed there utilities to defragment index. I couldn't find anything
like it for base table. If it doesn't exist, why? There is no such a thing
as full table scan in sql server?

Thanks in advance
From: Tom Moreau on
If you have a clustered index on a table, then it contains the data in the
leaf pages. Thus, if you defrag the clustered index, you have defragged the
table.

--
Tom

Thomas A. Moreau, BSc, PhD, MCSE, MCDBA, MCITP, MCTS
SQL Server MVP
Toronto, ON Canada
https://mvp.support.microsoft.com/profile/Tom.Moreau

From: Tibor Karaszi on
Remember that if a table has a clustered index, then the clustered index is
the data. A table without a clustered index is what we call a "heap table".
Now, since there is no order between the rows for (the data pages of) a
heap, then you first must ask yourself what you would say that
"fragmentation" really means for a heap. Having said that, as of SQL Server
2008, we can do ALTER TABLE ... REBUILD to rebuild the data pages of a heap.

--
Tibor Karaszi, SQL Server MVP
http://www.karaszi.com/sqlserver/default.asp