From: Dr Ivan D. Reid on
On Tue, 11 Apr 2006 12:38:14 GMT, Richard Bos <rlb(a)hoekstra-uitgeverij.nl>
wrote in <443ba2fd.512743896(a)news.xs4all.nl>:
> Brooks Moses <bmoses-nospam(a)cits1.stanford.edu> wrote:

>> Ben Pfaff wrote:

>> > Do you actually find it easier to follow the lines or to look at
>> > the indentation? I'd take indentation over a snaking maze of
>> > lines any day.

>> If you print out the text with the lines, and trace over them in colored
>> markers of various colors, they're pretty easy to follow. :)

> Well yeah, but it's a lot of hard work to trace over 3914 lines of
> useless Usenet post...

Ah, but they come out coloured already in my newsreader (it thinks
they are differing levels of quoting...)

--
Ivan Reid, Electronic & Computer Engineering, ___ CMS Collaboration,
Brunel University. Ivan.Reid@[brunel.ac.uk|cern.ch] Room 40-1-B12, CERN
From: Dan Nagle on
Hello,

Dr Ivan D. Reid wrote:

<snip>

> Ah, but they come out coloured already in my newsreader (it thinks
> they are differing levels of quoting...)

Or try f90tops (that's "to postscript").

--
Cheers!

Dan Nagle
Purple Sage Computing Solutions, Inc.
From: mitch grunes on
>Well yeah, but it's a lot of
>hard work to trace over
>3914 lines of useless Usenet post...

OK, next time I'll limit the source code to alt.sources, or maybe find
another free web hoster that lets me store source code files.

Didn't occur to me that some Usenet reading programs make you read
everything.

As to the Ben Pfaff, who prefered identation, I do that on my own code.
It's good enough for short programs, if I make no mistakes.

But the next time someone hands you a 20000 or so line legacy program
developed by 200 people over 30 years, that no one alive understands,
you may appreciate whatever help you can get. There is a lot of code
out there like that. The definition of a professional is that you do
what you are payed to do.

Brooks Moses's idea of coloring indentation stuff to make it more clear
sounds neat. But a lot of work - I was trying to stay away from
postscript.

From: slebetman@yahoo.com on
idlwizard-1(a)yahoo.com wrote:
> The latest revision of my source code diagramming programs are
> available at
>
> http://www.geocities.com/grunes/diagram.html
>
> These programs diagram source code in the following languages:
>
> C and C++<br>
> FORTRAN<br>
> HTML (very incomplete)<br>
> IDL, PV-WAVE, GDL and FL
>
> They do things like draw lines showing the start and end of routines
> and blocks, put * next to jumps, and = next to commented out sections,
> and can warn you of certain classes of error.
>
> They can help you find problems in your own code, or help you look at
> long complicated legacy code other people give you.
>
> The programs themselves are in FORTRAN. I know that is a problem for
> users of other programming languages, but it is freely available as g77
> or g95 under Cygwin (under Windows) or Linux, and is available on many
> other platforms.

Well... my favourite text editor already does what your program do and
does it live while I'm editing code. On top of that it also
*highlights* the relevant line when the cursor is on either the opening
or closing brace {}. On top of that it does syntax highlighting. On top
of that it also allows me to fold sections of code to temporarily hide
things I'm not interested in (and remember this is "live" while I'm
editing). And to top it all off it can print, save as RTF save as PDF
and save as HTML the nicely formatted code along with the nice lines.
The only difference is that my editor draws lines based on indentation
while your program auto-indent and draws lines based on braces. But
that's OK, that's what "indent" is for. Oh and yes my editor supports
syntax of more than 40 different languages including C/C++, Tcl,
Fortan, Forth, VB, Perl...

From: Edward Gregor on
slebetman(a)yahoo.com wrote:
> idlwizard-1(a)yahoo.com wrote:
>> The latest revision of my source code diagramming programs are
>> available at
>>
>> http://www.geocities.com/grunes/diagram.html
>>
>> These programs diagram source code in the following languages:
>>
>> C and C++<br>
>> FORTRAN<br>
>> HTML (very incomplete)<br>
>> IDL, PV-WAVE, GDL and FL
>>
>> They do things like draw lines showing the start and end of routines
>> and blocks, put * next to jumps, and = next to commented out sections,
>> and can warn you of certain classes of error.
>>
>> They can help you find problems in your own code, or help you look at
>> long complicated legacy code other people give you.
>>
>> The programs themselves are in FORTRAN. I know that is a problem for
>> users of other programming languages, but it is freely available as g77
>> or g95 under Cygwin (under Windows) or Linux, and is available on many
>> other platforms.
>
> Well... my favourite text editor already does what your program do and
> does it live while I'm editing code. On top of that it also
> *highlights* the relevant line when the cursor is on either the opening
> or closing brace {}. On top of that it does syntax highlighting. On top
> of that it also allows me to fold sections of code to temporarily hide
> things I'm not interested in (and remember this is "live" while I'm
> editing). And to top it all off it can print, save as RTF save as PDF
> and save as HTML the nicely formatted code along with the nice lines.
> The only difference is that my editor draws lines based on indentation
> while your program auto-indent and draws lines based on braces. But
> that's OK, that's what "indent" is for. Oh and yes my editor supports
> syntax of more than 40 different languages including C/C++, Tcl,
> Fortan, Forth, VB, Perl...

May I ask which editor you are using?