From: Jerry on
I have found plenty of freeware for registry scans but they do not remore
files or correct errors unless you purchase a program. Is there a Registry
Cleaner that will fix registry problems that is freeware?

Thanks in advance for any help given.
Jerry

From: Ron May on
"Jerry" <gkohler633(a)comcast.net> wrote in
Message-ID<c9ednTFpNZUMzC3enZ2dnUVZ_v-dnZ2d(a)comcast.com>:

> I have found plenty of freeware for registry scans but they do not remore
> files or correct errors unless you purchase a program. Is there a Registry
> Cleaner that will fix registry problems that is freeware?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help given.
> Jerry

There are several (CCleaner, Easy Cleaner, e.g.,) but my personal
favorite is RegSeeker:

http://www.hoverdesk.net/freeware.htm

On automatic scans, you can delete the "green" entries without a
second thought. Care should be exercised when deleting "red" entries,
although I've never personally experienced a problem from doing so.
(The program does generate backups of deleted entries.)

Most useful feature for me is "search" when an automatic scan doesn't
ferret out all of the entries left behind by some uninstalled program
that still causes issues with file associations and the like. Do a
search for the file name, aliases and vendor name and you'll get most
of them.

Standard disclaimer applies, however, that you make changes to the
registry at your own risk.

--
Ron M.
From: Spratman on

>I have found plenty of freeware for registry scans but they do not remore
>files or correct errors unless you purchase a program. Is there a Registry
>Cleaner that will fix registry problems that is freeware?
>
> Thanks in advance for any help given.
> Jerry

I'd suggest getting Microsoft's Regclean 4.1a. Microsoft have removed it
from their own site to the best of my knowledge, but PC World still has it,
as do other sites [but I think I trust PC World more than a few others].

http://www.pcworld.com/downloads/file_description/0,fid,4666,00.asp

Pretty simple to use, no fancy options - no money required either. I usually
run this after a serious crash and it seems to put things right. The problem
I've had with other products is that sometimes the fine line between
"Fixing" and "breaking" is almost impossible to determine.

CCleaner, that others here recommend is not the most bug free software I've
come across either [which is perhaps a bit alarming considering what it is].
I had a go with v1.25.201 and found I could amongst other things make it
crash - and that some of the settings may have undesired effects - even if
they look innocent. It did however manage to remove a number of entries for
DirectX filters that I had that had not deregistered themselves properly,
which was helpful.

Sprat ;)

From: Bill Turner on
On Tue, 27 Dec 2005 07:41:00 +0800, Buzzie <buzzie(a)bluebottle.com>
wrote:

>Could you help me with a few questions please?
>
>1) Can I do this if I only have one HD?

I think so. You would have to have two partitions on the HD, and you
would save the image of your main partition to the second partition. I
have not done this myself, so someone please correct me if that's not
possible.. I have always used two separate drives. You have the
option of creating the image directly to a DVD or CD, using multiple
disks if needed. After you have created the image, ALWAYS run the
verification test to make sure the image is good.

One very good option is a second HD in an external USB case, so when
you've created your image you can take it away and store it in a safe
place. Highly recommended!

>2) If I must have a second HD, what size is the minimum I could get
>away with if the main HD is 160 GB?

To give you an idea, my C drive is 20Gb, but I only have about 3.5Gb
used. When I make an image I use moderate compression so the image
itself comes out about 2Gb. My second HD is a 250 Gb, so I can store
my "golden" image plus lots of daily or weekly images going back
months.

>3) What programme should I use to make the image? (OS will be XP Home)

I like Acronis True Image. I have used Norton Ghost which is OK but
Acronis can create an image without rebooting into DOS. It has the
ability to "lock" files which are in use so it can read and image them
while Windows is running. My Norton Ghost is the 2003 version so it's
possible later versions can to the locking too.

>4) If the original install gets screwed, how do I replace it again with
>the image I've made?

With either Acronis or Norton Ghost, you use a rescue disk which you
create during the installation process and boot into DOS. Then select
the image you want to restore and tell the program which drive to
restore it to. Easy.

>5) Can you recommend any websites that explain drive imaging, and how
>to do it?

I don't know of any other than Acronis' and Norton's. I'm sure there
are some. Google will find them.

>Thanks for any advice you can offer.

My pleasure. Have fun.

Bill T.
From: mike ring on
Bill Turner <noway(a)nohow.com> wrote in

> One very good option is a second HD in an external USB case, so when
> you've created your image you can take it away and store it in a safe
> place. Highly recommended!

I'm sure this is good advice - but I've now got a terror of burglars; if my
computers get nicked; and my nice book size external drive is nicked too,
my life is gone!

Can anyone suggest a better hiding place that the laundry basket?

mike
 |  Next  |  Last
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5
Prev: Caiman Tools
Next: Best Freeware GAMES sites..... ???