From: bi241 on

got the AWLL5025 from local Frys for $19 + tax. The survey site
software detects a total 6 networks in my ghetto neighborhood, my
WRT54G running DD-WRT in client mode with 100mW of TX-power and 9dBi
ruber duck omni can do no better...

Netstumbler works with this adapter but cannot detect SSID of some
stations, Cain&Abel do all...

i gave my brother the PCI version of this RaLink-based adapter, the
AWLH5025 PCI which i also paid $19, and it can see more networks than
his D-Link DWL-G520M MIMO PCI, which he returned to CompUSA for $100
back

heck... i even bough the Atheros-based AWLH4030 PCI, paid $14 at Frys,
that can run Commview for WiFi.

oh and by the way, wireshark. formely ethereal, says the TX-power of
this card is 100mW!!!

cheers

From: Jeff Liebermann on
bi241(a)scn.org hath wroth:

>got the AWLL5025 from local Frys for $19 + tax. The survey site
>software detects a total 6 networks in my ghetto neighborhood, my
>WRT54G running DD-WRT in client mode with 100mW of TX-power and 9dBi
>ruber duck omni can do no better...
>
>Netstumbler works with this adapter but cannot detect SSID of some
>stations, Cain&Abel do all...
>
>i gave my brother the PCI version of this RaLink-based adapter, the
>AWLH5025 PCI which i also paid $19, and it can see more networks than
>his D-Link DWL-G520M MIMO PCI, which he returned to CompUSA for $100
>back
>
>heck... i even bough the Atheros-based AWLH4030 PCI, paid $14 at Frys,
>that can run Commview for WiFi.
>
>oh and by the way, wireshark. formely ethereal, says the TX-power of
>this card is 100mW!!!

Which one? The spec sheet says that the AWLL5025 belches +13dBm
(20mw) for 802.11g and +17dBm (50mw) for 802.11b.
<http://www.airlink101.com/products/awll5025.html>

The AWLH4030 PCI is about the same at 10-14dBm (10-25mw) for 802.11g
and +18dBm (63mw) for 802.11b.
<http://www.airlink101.com/products/awlh4030.html>

So it is written, so it must be.

Wireshark and Wi-Fi Hopper both claim my HP laptops Broadcom something
MiniPCI card puts out 1300mw. What's happening is the NDIS5 function
call that returns the tx power from the driver is returning garbage.

From: bi241 on
oh, i mean the USB AWLL5025 card and the PCI AWLH5025 too, wireshark
won't return the TX-power value for the AWLH4030 PCI, the program also
notes that the accuracy of the returned values solely depend on the
card's drivers

so the broadcom miniPCI driver says it's got 1300mW... but why 1300mW
and not 3100mW? well, i have another theory beside thinking garbage
values being returned..

1300mW is about 31dBm!!! and i dont see why wifi cards cannot have
exactly that much of TX power. the FCC part 15 states that the limit
for 2.4GHz non-channel-hopping radios is 1000mW (or 30dBm) provided it
is attached to an antenna of 6dBi gain or less.... and for every 3dBi
increase in antenna gain, the TX power has to be reduced by 1dBm.
nothing further about the variations of radios+antennas
configuration...

but here comes the creative thinking.. from there, one may deductively
conclude that if the radio is permanently attached to a 3dbi antenna or
less, then its maximum TX power can be legally increased to 31dBi!!!

i suspect that notebooks manufactures been doing this with their OEM
wifi cards, especially with those miniPCIs, to keep their customers
happy.... of course, those cards are not intended for desktop use,
obviously, never to be sold as a part of a "highpower wardriving kit",
or to be sold seperately at all, even if they are hard coded to a
specific channel within the 2.4GHz spectrum

the wireless networking section at Frys, compared to other sections,
has the most returned items from pissed off customer who bought
brand-name wifi devices that put out 30mW... lol

cheers

From: Jeff Liebermann on
bi241(a)scn.org hath wroth:

>so the broadcom miniPCI driver says it's got 1300mW... but why 1300mW
>and not 3100mW? well, i have another theory beside thinking garbage
>values being returned..

The garbage values theory was what the developers at Wi-Fi Hopper
responded with when I bug reported the problem. I've seen the same
bogus power report with other boards and drivers.

>1300mW is about 31dBm!!! and i dont see why wifi cards cannot have
>exactly that much of TX power. the FCC part 15 states that the limit
>for 2.4GHz non-channel-hopping radios is 1000mW (or 30dBm) provided it
>is attached to an antenna of 6dBi gain or less.... and for every 3dBi
>increase in antenna gain, the TX power has to be reduced by 1dBm.
>nothing further about the variations of radios+antennas
>configuration...

I don't want to get into interpreting FCC 15.247. The maximum power
output is 1 watt. Unfortunatly, they don't say where they measure
this 1 watt. It could be at the transmitter, or at the antenna. Hard
to tell. The common interpretation is 1 watt maximum at the antenna
with a 6dBi omni antenna. If you lower the gain of the antenna, you
cannot increase the power output to compensate. It would have made
much more sense for the FCC to specific EIRP (Effective isotropic
reference radiated power).

>but here comes the creative thinking.. from there, one may deductively
>conclude that if the radio is permanently attached to a 3dbi antenna or
>less, then its maximum TX power can be legally increased to 31dBi!!!

No. Or at least no according to several testing labs that submit FCC
Part 15 type certification reports. Nice try.

Incidentally, if you really want high power in a laptop, see:
<http://www.ubnt.com/products.php4>

>i suspect that notebooks manufactures been doing this with their OEM
>wifi cards, especially with those miniPCIs, to keep their customers
>happy.... of course, those cards are not intended for desktop use,
>obviously, never to be sold as a part of a "highpower wardriving kit",
>or to be sold seperately at all, even if they are hard coded to a
>specific channel within the 2.4GHz spectrum

I like conspiracy theories but not this time. Linux utilities report
the correct power output from the same cards that Windoze reports
garbage.

>the wireless networking section at Frys, compared to other sections,
>has the most returned items from pissed off customer who bought
>brand-name wifi devices that put out 30mW... lol

That's one reason why I don't buy at Fry's.

From: miso on

Jeff Liebermann wrote:
> bi241(a)scn.org hath wroth:
>
> >so the broadcom miniPCI driver says it's got 1300mW... but why 1300mW
> >and not 3100mW? well, i have another theory beside thinking garbage
> >values being returned..
>
> The garbage values theory was what the developers at Wi-Fi Hopper
> responded with when I bug reported the problem. I've seen the same
> bogus power report with other boards and drivers.
>
> >1300mW is about 31dBm!!! and i dont see why wifi cards cannot have
> >exactly that much of TX power. the FCC part 15 states that the limit
> >for 2.4GHz non-channel-hopping radios is 1000mW (or 30dBm) provided it
> >is attached to an antenna of 6dBi gain or less.... and for every 3dBi
> >increase in antenna gain, the TX power has to be reduced by 1dBm.
> >nothing further about the variations of radios+antennas
> >configuration...
>
> I don't want to get into interpreting FCC 15.247. The maximum power
> output is 1 watt. Unfortunatly, they don't say where they measure
> this 1 watt. It could be at the transmitter, or at the antenna. Hard
> to tell. The common interpretation is 1 watt maximum at the antenna
> with a 6dBi omni antenna. If you lower the gain of the antenna, you
> cannot increase the power output to compensate. It would have made
> much more sense for the FCC to specific EIRP (Effective isotropic
> reference radiated power).
>
> >but here comes the creative thinking.. from there, one may deductively
> >conclude that if the radio is permanently attached to a 3dbi antenna or
> >less, then its maximum TX power can be legally increased to 31dBi!!!
>
> No. Or at least no according to several testing labs that submit FCC
> Part 15 type certification reports. Nice try.
>
> Incidentally, if you really want high power in a laptop, see:
> <http://www.ubnt.com/products.php4>
>
> >i suspect that notebooks manufactures been doing this with their OEM
> >wifi cards, especially with those miniPCIs, to keep their customers
> >happy.... of course, those cards are not intended for desktop use,
> >obviously, never to be sold as a part of a "highpower wardriving kit",
> >or to be sold seperately at all, even if they are hard coded to a
> >specific channel within the 2.4GHz spectrum
>
> I like conspiracy theories but not this time. Linux utilities report
> the correct power output from the same cards that Windoze reports
> garbage.
>
> >the wireless networking section at Frys, compared to other sections,
> >has the most returned items from pissed off customer who bought
> >brand-name wifi devices that put out 30mW... lol
>
> That's one reason why I don't buy at Fry's.
>
> --
> Jeff Liebermann jeffl(a)comix.santa-cruz.ca.us
> Santa Cruz CA 95060 http://802.11junk.com
> Skype: JeffLiebermann AE6KS 831-336-2558

Actually, what is returned at Fry's is handy to know. If there are lots
of returns, try something else. I know those on this usenet group are
Linksys fans, but most of what is returned to Fry's is Linksys.

If I think there are going to be problems with something, I always go
to Fry's because they will take back anything.