From: swb6 on
Hi,
I am currently writing up my
dissertation based on dynamic tracing and reducing the learning curve to
understanding the UNIX kernel. I used two dynamic tracing technologies
(Systemtap and Dtrace) to monitor some virtual machines on a network.
Whilst going over my initial review of technologies in the area of dynamic
tracing I realised I had underestimated ftrace, and even dismissed it as
not being dynamic. However I read hear (http://lwn.net/Articles/343766/)
that you were as of July last year trying to introduce a patch that would
allow ftrace the ability to dynamically trace. Also it would be completely
instrumented from the command line without the need to compile a kernel
module al la Systemtap.

My question is do you think Systemtap will be replaced by ftrace in the
future if so I feel I may need to include this fact in my updated
technology review.

Than you for your time
Steve Brown

From: Tim Bird on
On 03/31/2010 10:36 AM, swb6(a)aber.ac.uk wrote:
> Hi,
> I am currently writing up my
> dissertation based on dynamic tracing and reducing the learning curve to
> understanding the UNIX kernel. I used two dynamic tracing technologies
> (Systemtap and Dtrace) to monitor some virtual machines on a network.
> Whilst going over my initial review of technologies in the area of dynamic
> tracing I realised I had underestimated ftrace, and even dismissed it as
> not being dynamic. However I read hear (http://lwn.net/Articles/343766/)
> that you were as of July last year trying to introduce a patch that would
> allow ftrace the ability to dynamically trace. Also it would be completely
> instrumented from the command line without the need to compile a kernel
> module al la Systemtap.
>
> My question is do you think Systemtap will be replaced by ftrace in the
> future if so I feel I may need to include this fact in my updated
> technology review.

Systemtap addresses a different set of needs than ftrace.
Ftrace has been dynamic for some time, but in a different way
than Systemtap.

I don't see either system going away soon.