From: Janis on
On 22 Feb., 22:45, Andreas Marschke <xxtj...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> > Whereever you build pipelines of: cut, head, tail, sed, grep, tr, etc.
> > etc. use (e.g.) awk(1) instead; and "avaiable on every possible machine";
> > it's standard on Unix and available even for WinDOS if you like. Another
> > option, if you're not repelled by it's syntax, is perl (it's non-standard
> > on Unixes, but generally available as well).
>
> > Janis
>
> TBH I havent taken the time yet to have a look into awk. But I try to learn
> perl besides my current work on c++ applications.

As opposed to perl, you can learn awk in just 1-2 days.

> So well yes I will have a look and see what I can do with your tool of
> choice. Thanks!

The point is that awk covers all the commands I listed (and more) in a
consistent simple way, using a (C oriented) syntax which seems already
well-known to you.

WRT "*your* tool of choice", don't get the wrong impression; I
appreciate the whole Unix tool chest. But not every sort of tool-usage
makes sense.

Janis
From: Janis on
On 22 Feb., 22:42, Andreas Marschke <xxtj...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> Janis Papanagnou wrote:
>
> >> What do you mean by "parser" ?
>
> > A tool aware of the specific syntax of the data.
>
> > Janis
>
> I was more interested in you naming an actual tool not the general
> description of a parser.

Maybe. But upthread you didn't ask for that. You asked:
> >> What do you mean by "parser" ?

Janis
From: Sven Mascheck on
Andreas Marschke wrote:

> I was just wondering wether somebody wants to share his/her best shell
> script snippets here on the list. Im interested in everything that can do
> something nifty to a system or a website. Pick your favourite shell wether
> its bash,sh,dash,ksh,csh,fish or whatever just have fun hacking and share
> your jewels!

Especially when counting Janis' point about complex scripts,
then the most unquestionable examples per se are
- whichshell from Brian Hiles/Heiner Steven and
http://groups.google.com/group/comp.unix.shell/msg/688aec975609b9e1
- which_interpreter by Stephane Chazelas
http://stchaz.free.fr/which_interpreter