From: Richard Maine on
Larry Krablin <larry.krablin(a)unisys.com> wrote:

> I don't know what FORTRAN's rules are for normalizing floating point items,

It has none. The whole subject is outside the scope of the Fortran
standard.

domain: summertriangle | -- Mark Twain
From: gmail-unlp on
On Aug 3, 6:30 pm, nos...(a)see.signature (Richard Maine) wrote:
> Larry Krablin <larry.krab...(a)unisys.com> wrote:
> > I don't know what FORTRAN's rules are for normalizing floating point items,
>
> It has none. The whole subject is outside the scope of the Fortran
> standard.

However, we can use KIND, PRECISION, RANGE, and SELECTED_REAL_KIND
for
portability, right? (I think normalization is too low level, isn't
it?)

Fernando.

From: Richard Maine on
gmail-unlp <ftinetti(a)gmail.com> wrote:

> On Aug 3, 6:30 pm, nos...(a)see.signature (Richard Maine) wrote:
> > Larry Krablin <larry.krab...(a)unisys.com> wrote:
> > > I don't know what FORTRAN's rules are for normalizing floating point
items,

> > It has none. The whole subject is outside the scope of the Fortran
> > standard.
> >
> However, we can use KIND, PRECISION, RANGE, and
> SELECTED_REAL_KIND for portability, right?

Yes, but those have nothing to do with normalization. I'm not quite sure
why one would even mention them in this context. Fortran also has trig
functions.

> (I think normalization is too low level, isn't it?)

Basically. It is related to details of the representation. The Fortran
standard doesn't go into anything about representation details.

domain: summertriangle | -- Mark Twain
From: gmail-unlp on
On Aug 3, 8:03 pm, nos...(a)see.signature (Richard Maine) wrote:
> gmail-unlp <ftine...(a)gmail.com> wrote:
> items,
>
> > > It has none. The whole subject is outside the scope of the Fortran
> > > standard.
>
> > However, we can use KIND, PRECISION, RANGE, and
> > SELECTED_REAL_KIND for portability, right?
>
> Yes, but those have nothing to do with normalization. I'm not quite sure
> why one would even mention them in this context. Fortran also has trig
> functions.

Waw! I apologyze, I didnt't try to bother anybody, I just thought
about the
relationship among data representation (being normalization one of
the
details), Fortran standards (being referred to in the question and
answer),
and portability.

Sorry,

Fernando.